Problem with 6V Power Supply

Hello,
I am planning using an Arduino Nano V3 to control an ESC. The ESC has an Output of 6V. I want the Arduino and a HC-05 module to be supplied by it. Max.voltage for the HC-05 is 6V, so I connected it the output of the ESC. However, shortly after the regulator of the HC-05 burnt through, so I guess there was too high voltage (or am I wrong? I most certainly didnt mess up GND and VCC). Now here's what I thought of to fix it: supply the Arduino with the 6V and then supply the HC-05 from the Arduinos 5V output, which should be in the operating range of the HC-05. There's 3 questions I got now:

• is that a good idea in general?
  • did I go wrong in my assumption that the HC-05 died to too high voltage?
  • if the solution is good, I am not sure weather to connect the ESC output to the +5V or VIN pin, since 6V>5V but also 6V<7V which is the minimum for VIN

I am using the Hobbyking X Car 150A ESC.
In the scenario where only the HC-05 died, I didnt connect the Arduino Nano to the ESC output (the arduino was connected to USB), so that's why most likely only the HC-05 died.
EDIT: I figured it could also be the current, since the ESC can provide up to 3 Amps, and the operating current for the HC-05 is 30mA. Would putting a resistor to lower the Amps help in this case?
IMPORTANT EDIT: I just measured it and noticed that the ESC BEC output is as high as 22V (equal to the voltage the supplying lipos give). Any idea why?
Looking forward to reading your answers,
MJLennox

Supply it from the 5v from the Arduino should do it indeed.

Yeah I thought so, too. But there's still the issue: how am I going to supply the Nano from the ESC BEC output? it gives 6V, which is too high for 5V and too low for VIN. Maybe I need another regulator.

Would a voltage divider to 5V do the job here? I'd like to know so I don't risk killing the arduino or the HC-05.
EDIT: I just measured it and noticed that the ESC BEC output is as high as 22V (equal to the voltage the supplying lipos give). Any idea why?

Did you measure the output of the ESC under load, e.g when powering a 1k resistor.

The onboard 5volt regulator of a Nano needs at least 6volt to make a stable 5volt.
So 6volt on V-in is ok.

All Nanos run on ~4.6volt when powered by USB.
So a drooping 5volt supply is still ok.

Just power the BT module from the 5volt pin.
Leo..

Thanks Wawa!
I now decided to buy a UBEC which regulates the 6s output of the LiPos to stable 5V, this way I am sure to recieve 5V only, which is good for the arduino as well as the Hc05
Am I right?

Yes. Safer if you don't trust the ESC.
Connect 5volt from the buck converter to the 5volt (VCC) pin of the Nano (not V-in/raw).
And power the BT module also from that 5volt supply.
Leo..