Problem with arduino GPS module

Hi,

I am trying to use Neo 6M GPS Module with arduino.

But It is showing me INVALID Location and no date and time.

I have tried various codes but none seems to be able to get data.

The onboard LED is constant.

Is there's something to be done with the PPS pin or there's some problem with my module?

Please help

I would post a test program that will tell you what the GPS is putting out as data, but it depends on the Arduino you are using and you did not say which one ?

I have tried many test codes available on the internet but none is able to get any data. By the way, I am using Arduino UNO for my project.

Try this, adjust the GPS RX and TX pins to match your setup.

Show us what the output looks like when the GPS is outside with a good view of the sky and has been there for a couple of minutes.

/*******************************************************************************************************
  Programs for Arduino - Copyright of the author Stuart Robinson - 14/12/19
  This program is supplied as is, it is up to the user of the program to decide if the program is
  suitable for the intended purpose and free from errors.
*******************************************************************************************************/

/*******************************************************************************************************
  Program Operation - This is a simple program to test a GPS. It reads characters from the GPS using
  software serial and sends them (echoes) to the IDE serial monitor. If your ever having problems with
  a GPS (or just think you are) use this program first.
  If you get no data displayed on the serial monitor, the most likely cause is that you have the receive
  data pin into the Arduino (RX) pin connected incorrectly.
  If the data displayed on the serial terminal appears to be random text with odd symbols its very
  likely you have the GPS serial baud rate set incorrectly.

Note that not all pins on all Arduinos will work with software serial, see here;
  https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/softwareSerial

Serial monitor baud rate is set at 115200.
*******************************************************************************************************/
#define RXpin 3              //this is the pin that the Arduino will use to receive data from the GPS
#define TXpin 2              //this is the pin that the Arduino can use to send data (commands) to the GPS - not used

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial GPS(RXpin, TXpin);

void loop()
{
  while (GPS.available())
  {
    Serial.write(GPS.read());
  }
}

void setup()
{
  GPS.begin(9600);
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("26_GPS_Echo Starting");
}

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.
Then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Where have you got the GPS, if the LED on the GPS is not flashing then it is not receiving any or enough satellites.
Please read the notes on how the GPS unit works.
If you are inside you may need to go outside to get a primary fix, this could take many minutes.
Satellite acquisition is not necessarily instant

Have you got a shield that plugs into the UNO or are you jumper wiring between the two?
A picture of your project will help.

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

But It is showing me INVALID Location and no date and time.

You need to be outdoors, with a clear view of the sky.

jremington:
You need to be outdoors, with a clear view of the sky.

My NEO-6M, external plate antenna, UNO that uses software serial and it works fine 20 feet away from any window. Walls, floor, roof is reinforced concrete.

Railroader:
My NEO-6M, external plate antenna, UNO that uses software serial and it works fine 20 feet away from any window. Walls, floor, roof is reinforced concrete.

That's because it had a chance to load an ephemeris. A fresh boot often needs more time and stronger signals. If it was transported around the world (for example from a warehouse in China to USA), then it has to cold boot because it doesn't know where it is. It's worse if it loses the time. The on board battery powers the ephemeris backup so if the battery runs down you have the same situation.

aarg:
That's because it had a chance to load an ephemeris. A fresh boot often needs more time and stronger signals. If it was transported around the world (for example from a warehouse in China to USA), then it has to cold boot because it doesn't know where it is. It's worse if it loses the time.

Yes, it takes time for the GPS to find the sattelites if it has been transported, off powered, enough of a distance, but it starts and runs!

It runs, but the sentences will be mostly filler. OP needs to follow reply #3 to get any real help.

It defenatly makes things better and faster.

Railroader:

Very often the many GPS I have tested dont get a fix or take a very long time to get a fix indoors when 20 feet away from a window and looking at the reported GPS signal strengths its easy to see why.

When someone reports an issue with a GPS on the forum, such as the GPS does not providing location information it makes a lot of sense to go back to basics and prove that under good conditions a GPS is capable of working, dont you agree ?

As for your GPS and location if you leave your GPS unpowered for a few days, and place it 20 feet from a window in your concrete reinforced building, how long does it take to get a fix from cold ?

srnet:
Very often the many GPS I have tested dont get a fix or take a very long time to get a fix indoors when 20 feet away from a window and looking at the reported GPS signal strengths its easy to see why.

When someone reports an issue with a GPS on the forum, such as the GPS does not providing location information it makes a lot of sense to go back to basics and prove that under good conditions a GPS is capable of working, dont you agree ?

As for your GPS and location if you leave your GPS unpowered for a few days, and place it 20 feet from a window in your concrete reinforced building, how long does it take to get a fix from cold ?

My unit, a GPS based speedometer has been unpowered for months. I'll start it up in the most difficult place and check!
I remember I started with the brand new GPS indoors, say a few feet from the living room window.... Okey, fiddling with the code gave the GPS extra time.....

Hi,
I hope the OP has connected Rx to Tx and Tx to Rx when connecting the units.
Also try 4800baud and 2400baud, not just 9600baud.

Tom... :slight_smile:

What do your raw NMEA sentences look like?

If you don't know what that means, then please do some research.

IMHO this is is the first thing to master before building a GPS project.

Hi,

As per your guidance, I took the GPS out for a ride under a clear sky and it got connected.

But the problem now is that the coordinates that I got were VERY VERY different from what were expected.

Can someone please tell what's the problem?

And is there any way to use the module indoors as I intend to use it indoors?

Thanks for your help

Do you think that anyone can answer that question ?

You presumably know what 'VERY VERY' different co-ordinates are, I doubt anyone here does.

If you intend the GPS to be used indoors, then I suggest you re-think the project. A typical GPS might well work in some buildings and not others, might take a long time to get a fix and the position error can be significant.

Hi,
What sort of precision are you after?

What is the application?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

Hi
Thanks for your replies the problem is that I am getting huge variation in Latitudes and longitudes for example 58 instead of 26-degree latitude. Can you please tell why is not taking up my exact location. I can accommodate a bit of deviation like 0.5 or 1 degree but what I am getting is much more.

Thanks

abcabcxyzxyz:
Hi
Thanks for your replies the problem is that I am getting huge variation in Latitudes and longitudes for example 58 instead of 26-degree latitude. Can you please tell why is not taking up my exact location. I can accommodate a bit of deviation like 0.5 or 1 degree but what I am getting is much more.

Thanks

What code are you running that gave you these results?