problem with arduino serial one sided...

hi there, i just made myself an arduino serial, and i am trying tu upload the bootloader, with my serial programmer, but it does not seem to work: in the console it says something like "arduino board is not respunding, use -F to skip this test, and override", and in the status board it says "burning bootloader to i/o device...."

i checked all the connection and they seem allright, on the board, and the paralel programmer...

i am using winxp sp2 with arduino 0010, and the device is powerd externaly at 9v, and the led lights up...

btw: i tried giveo(it does nothing), and the reg key for winxp paralel prog, and it still does not work, what can happen if i skip the test?, and do i need to plug in the serial cable as well when i program the bootloader?

10x...

The board you made is this one? http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardSerialSingleSided

If yes, check if the board wires are not open (wires are thin, causing corrosion problems), if there are no short circuits in wires or soldering bridges. This board is very critical in this points.

You said:

upload the bootloader, with my serial programmer,

and then:

the paralel programmer...

the cable you're using is the parallel programmer? http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer

If yes, you don't need to plug the serial cable to bootload.

You must follow this procedure: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader

Check if cable position is correct (check if cable pin1 is connected to board pin1)

Note that Arduino 0010 has a bug that makes the bootloader delay 10 minutes to complete with serial arduino board(in some cases). You have 3 options: - to wait 10 minutes; - to download 0007 version, install it, and bootload; - to bootload using DOS prompt (this lines are for Atmega8):

Got to:

C:\[your directory]\arduino-0010\hardware\tools\avr\bin

And run this:

avrdude -CC:\[your directory]\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm8 -cdapa -e -Ulock:w:0xFF:m -Uhfuse:w:0xca:m -Ulfuse:w:0xdf:m -F -b115200

And then this:

avrdude -CC:\[your directory]\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm8 -cdapa -e -Uflash:w:C:\[your directory]\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware\bootloaders\atmega8\ATmegaBOOT.hex:i -Ulock:w:0xCF:m -b115200 -F

ok, so i'm using the paralel programer, with the arduino serial single sided....

i've downloaded 0007, and burned the bootloader, and shown me all sorts of diferent flash errors, at different adresses... and after that it says, :"done burning bootloader" i'm not shure that it is ok, is there any way i can test the bootloader?

Put a led on pin13, and GND (in correct position). If you press the board's reset button, this led must blink fast, stop for 8 or 9 seconds, then blink again, ...

If this doesn't happens, the bootloader is not working.

You tried to bootload before, with 0010. I had some problems doing the same, and the solution was to burn bootloader again, two or three times. Or try the DOS option.

:( GOD i'm strarting to get anoyed...

i triedd'em all, nothing works... arduino 07 says that the burning is done, but when veryfing the flash, it gives a series of errors..., while arduino 10 says that the programer si not ready, check the connection... >:(

i tried the dos method... nothing, it says that a file is missing, a .dll

i verrified all the connections, and bridges... all are ok...

i don't know what more i can do... :(

Sorry. I did a mistake on the last line of DOS command (used mine directory). Already edited it. It's ok now.

For the command lines, you should go only into the base Arduino directory:

C:[your directory]\arduino-0010

and then replace avrdude with:

hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude

(the rest is the same).

same problem: libusb0.dll is missing...

i downloaded 3 times and still nothing... any ideas?

could the atmega chip be bad?

I don't know if this can help you, but I had problems in the past because I unzipped the arduino.exe with a different directory structure.

I solved the problem using the original directory: ....\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010....

My mistake was removing the "arduino-0010-win".