Problem with Arduino Uno's Digital Pins

Greetings! I'm completely new to Arduino and just got my first Uno board today. While trying the very first project on "Getting Started with Arduino" (Blinking LED) I can't make my LED to light up using the digital Pins! I I tried building a circuit on my Breadboard using the GND and 5V pins instead to know if the parts are OK and that works fine, but when I try to do it using the digital ones I cannot get anything. The software compiles and I have no errors and since the built-in L light works as well I assume there's no communication problems, so I'm really lost here. What can I do?

Thanks a lot!

What does

I have no errors and since the built-in L light works as well I assume

mean?
Did you try the blink with the onboard LED (D13) ?

I'll guess you have the LED backwards in the breadboard.

Indeed! wrong LED position was the case. It feels embarrassing now to have been wondering about such a simple thing for an hour before posting it hereā€¦ Thanks a lot!

Don't feel bad. Every one makes them it is just some times you are quicker at spotting them than others. Experience is just learning to spot them sooner.

Don't feel bad.

Absolutely! I put LEDs in wrong all the time.

"Okay, the long one is positive, no, no- it's the short one. That's the cathode, no wait! That's the anode! No wait!"

Hahaha, exactly! That's like hearing myself.