Problem with ATMega1280 boards

Hello,

I've bought two ATMega1280 boards to ge-th2009 ebay seller.

One of the two boards is not recognized by Windows (it doesn't appear in the device manager) but the power led is ON and the L led is always blinking. The other board is recognized by Windows but I always received the well known error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

and this is the "modern design" of the board I recevied:

img268.imageshack.us/img268/9098/20091217dsc06344.jpg

The seller is sending me two new boards, but while waiting, do you think that this two boards can be "recovered" with a USBtinyISP programmer?

Thanks

and this is the "modern design" of the board I recevied

Yikes!

I've never seen anything like that before!! :o

-- Martyn

Hello,

I've bought two ATMega1280 boards to ge-th2009 ebay seller.

One of the two boards is not recognized by Windows (it doesn't appear in the device manager) but the power led is ON and the L led is always blinking. The other board is recognized by Windows but I always received the well known error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

and this is the "modern design" of the board I recevied:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9098/20091217dsc06344.jpg

The seller is sending me two new boards, but while waiting, do you think that this two boards can be "recovered" with a USBtinyISP programmer?

Thanks

I've tried also with Ubuntu (the board that is recognized) and now I get that error

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

That's what you get by buying crappy clones off ebay...

m

img268.imageshack.us/img268/9098/20091217dsc06344.jpg

That's art, that is ! ;D

Wow! Though to be fair, it looks more like it got bent during shipping than poor manufacturing. I wouldn't expect an SMT board that had been bent that much to still work. Sometimes the postal service really works things over. (For example, Adafruit is generally well respected, and usually ships in envelopes rather than boxes to save everyone money. Usually that works fine, but sometimes you get http://awaitinginspiration.com/fedex-will-it-blend/ )

I bought it after checking the feedback for the same item...

Finally, the ge-th2009 seller sent to me two new boards and now they are working perfectly, but only under Linux (Ubuntu).

Under Win7 I receive that error:

protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

what can I check?

ps. As I was receiving the same error under Windows as with the first two "bad" boards, I checked again (the bad) under Linux but they are not recognized...

ps2. If someone wants to buy to the ge-th2009 seller, you can buy with confidence, because he will resend again the boards in case of problems.

Finally solved:

in the boards.txt file, I've changed mega.upload.speed from 19200 to 57600 for the Mega.

mega.name=Arduino Mega

mega.upload.protocol=stk500 mega.upload.maximum_size=126976 mega.upload.speed=57600

mega.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF mega.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA mega.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xF5 mega.bootloader.path=atmega mega.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega1280.hex mega.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F mega.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

mega.build.mcu=atmega1280 mega.build.f_cpu=16000000L mega.build.core=arduino