problem with bootloader and arduino as ISP

I think I burned out a chip on the uno board. I had hooked 9v to an lcd by accident, lots of smoke and after that the arduino wouldn't program and the lcd was toast. So I had an order with mouser and got a new chip for the uno board. I downloaded the arduinoISP code into a mega2560 and tried to burn the bootloader to the new chip and it fails with:

avrdude: stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x50 avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

So is this the programmer or the uno (with new chip) causing the error?

Thanks.

Probably the programmer. Remember that the SPI/ICSP pins are different on the Mega.

Yes, but I am using a 2560 to program a Uno so the ICSP pins would apply to the Uno, correct? The programmer is the 2560 and as near as I looked, it uses pins 10-13 to do the programmng so that should all be the same. I suspect maybe something is wrong on the Uno board itself.

ICSP programming is done with SPI. The SPI port on the Mega is pins 50-53, not 10-13 (and in different order, of course).

Try connecting the ICSP pins to the ICSP pins, except the "Reset" on the UNO ICSP header connects to 53 on the Mega.