Problem with Capacitive Sensor Feedback using Conductive Paint

Hi,

I am fairly new to Arduino and looking for help with my project. I am making a proximity sensor using Bare conductive paint.

My circuit is- Pin 2 (sensor pin) to breadboard. Pin 4 (receiver) to breadboard. On breadboard, these are bridged with 10m resistor. Pin 2 connected to conductive paint via wire with paperclip soldered on.

The code was copied directly from the CapSense code example on this site and is as follows:

#include <CapacitiveSensor.h>

/*
 * CapitiveSense Library Demo Sketch
 * Paul Badger 2008
 * Uses a high value resistor e.g. 10 megohm between send pin and receive pin
 * Resistor effects sensitivity, experiment with values, 50 kilohm - 50 megohm. Larger resistor values yield larger sensor values.
 * Receive pin is the sensor pin - try different amounts of foil/metal on this pin
 * Best results are obtained if sensor foil and wire is covered with an insulator such as paper or plastic sheet
 */

CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_2 = CapacitiveSensor(4,2);        // 10 megohm resistor between pins 4 & 2, pin 2 is sensor pin, add wire, foil
CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_5 = CapacitiveSensor(4,5);        // 10 megohm resistor between pins 4 & 6, pin 6 is sensor pin, add wire, foil
CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_8 = CapacitiveSensor(4,8);        // 10 megohm resistor between pins 4 & 8, pin 8 is sensor pin, add wire, foil

void setup()                    
{

cs_4_2.set_CS_AutocaL_Millis(0xFFFFFFFF);     // turn off autocalibrate on channel 1 - just as an example
   Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()                    
{
    long start = millis();
    long total1 =  cs_4_2.capacitiveSensor(30);
    long total2 =  cs_4_5.capacitiveSensor(30);
    long total3 =  cs_4_8.capacitiveSensor(30);

Serial.print(millis() - start);        // check on performance in milliseconds
    Serial.print("\t");                    // tab character for debug window spacing

Serial.print(total1);                  // print sensor output 1
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.print(total2);                  // print sensor output 2
    Serial.print("\t");
    Serial.println(total3);                // print sensor output 3

delay(10);                             // arbitrary delay to limit data to serial port 
}

It uploaded successfully and has been successfully verified so am sure there is nothing wrong with the code itself.
The problems I am having are with the data being displayed/ understanding what I am looking at:

Serial Monitor in the tutorial I followed on the BareCondusctive website printed 1 column of data (2 figure numbers) which displayed a new line of data every half second or so and the numbers increased to the thousands when close to sensor.

Mine has 4 columns of data (think this is due to the Serial.print("/t") command!?) but a new line of data is displayed every 4 second even if i change the delay.
I am unsure what these 4 columns mean- could someone please advise?

Columns look like this:
3903 0 -2 -2
3895 62 -2 -2
3885 0 -2 -2
3884 21 -2 -2
3883 0 -2 -2
3882 56 -2 -2
3881 0 -2 -2
3881 0 -2 -2
3881 86 -2 -2
3881 79 -2 -2

As you can see, the second column changes significantly but not in relation to the sensor! (The above data was recorded with nothing near the sensor) I believe the -2 figures I am getting is due to “capacitiveSensor and capacitiveSensorRaw will return -2 if the methods timeout. This is caused by the count exceeding the value of CS_Timeout_Millis, which is set at a default value of 2000 milliseconds (2 seconds). This is most often caused by a missing resistor or the resistor in the wrong pin. It could also be caused by a sensor that is grounded or connected to +5 V.” but I have checked my resistor and it is in the right place, isn’t missing and neither pin is grounded (apart from usb to computer)

I have looked on YoutUBE, Google etc and can’t seem to find any help. Would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here.

Thanks

The first thing that comes to mind is the quality of the paint that you are using. Sometimes, it can seem like it's a steady line, but in reality it's full of weak connections caused by a very thin line of conductive paint.
I think that this can be why sometimes it reads but not in relation to the sensor.... but it could be something else,

If you haven't checked your paint, do so and upload a picture of it to see how it looks like.

Good luck!