Problem with Configuring the XBee

I just got my 1st two Xbee modules from sparkfun. They are series 1 modules (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8665).

My requirement: transmit sensor data with one xbee and receive from the other which is connected to my Arduino UNO.

Problem : I downloaded XCT-U and connected one xbee via my UNO board (with avr in reset mode) to configure it. I can connect to xbee and read it successfully. So I referred some tutorial, how to configure them. As they say 1st I have to choose the correct "Function set" ,i.e.ZIGBEE COORDINATOR API & ZIGBEE ROUTER/END DEVICE API for my requirement, aren't they?

But I only have Function sets such as XBEE 802.15.4, XBEE 802.15.4 ANALOG IO ADAPTER, XBEE 802.15.4 DIGITAL IO ADAPTER, XBEE 802.15.4 RS232 ADAPTER, etc..

And as it says my modem is : XB24

How can I achieve my requirement? Please help...

Start by setting the XBees up to talk to each other. I have Modem: XBEE with XB24 selected, Function Set: XBEE 802 15.4 and Version: 10CD. Then, set PAN ID, MY, and DL for each XBee. PAN ID needs to be the same on each one. MY on one needs to match DL on the other. The exact values do not matter, except that neither should be 0.

Thanx 4 the answer..

but what about DH?

and I have all the same you described but version: 10EC . hope that doesn't matter.does it?

but what about DH?

DH is set if you need to address more than 65,000 XBees. Do you?

If not, the default value of 0 is fine.

I just understood what SH,SL,DH and DL really are.. So I connected this way.

How can I test this?.... I tried to connect it via XCT-U (Using the same wiring I used to configure XBee, and attached a variable resistor to Tx XBee).

Additional Configurations I made: set both to 3-9600 Baudrate (BD), and API enabled. set Tx XBee's DIO1 to ADC.

Start by setting the XBees up to talk to each other.

You did more than that, without testing that this step worked. Why?

I tried to connect it via XCT-U

"it"? What is it?

You have 2 XBees, connected to what?

Sorry, I couldn’t understand that step… how can I make two XBees to talk to each other?

Say I configured two XBees as you said. So how can I test whether they work now??

And Thanx alot for helping me

hi I would suggest You to read the wireless tutorial by J.Blum. (search on Youtube) Explains howto setup communication. :-)

regards

In order to exchange information, the XBees have to be configured to collect information (from sensors or from the Arduino) and to talk to each other. Until they can talk to each other, it makes no sense to configure them to collect data.

Unless the XBees are connected to something that can use the data, it makes no sense to configure them to talk to each other.

So, presumably, since you are trying to configure them to talk to each other, you have a need to exchange data.

My question was what is collecting the data? An Arduino? A PC? What is using that data? An Arduino? A PC?

If you expect to eventually have an XBee as a standalone device directly collecting data, that is fine. But, you still need to devices to use to test communications. They can be Arduinos with XBee shields or USB Explorers or USB breakout boards.

So, what two devices are you using to test the XBees?

my project is to collect data from few sensors via xbee to my arduino for further processing…
so its: Sensor>>XBee Tx >>XBee Rx>> Arduino UNO board.

And I’m not using any XBee Shield,… Im using a regulated breakout board and the arduino UNO board itself to program xbees(for this I refered : http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_191485&src_vid=ugA1T1RVtHI&feature=iv&v=rk5QpzgHXGM).

I only have a PC, Ardoino UNO, 2x Series1 XBees ,2x regulated Xbee breakout boards , and other electrical components (resistors, sensor, potentiometers, etc)

How can get this done, how can i test the XBee communication?

I only have a PC, Ardoino UNO, 2x Series1 XBees ,2x regulated Xbee breakout boards

Regulated? Like this? Or like this?

yes, I have this regulated breakout board (http://www.ebay.com/itm/170725152239?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649), no usb interface. But I could successfully connect to each of my XBees and configure them, by connecting them through my arduino. So tell me a way to configure and let the XBees talk to eachother and check the communication.

Again, Thanx alot for helping me... :)

So tell me a way to configure and let the XBees talk to eachother and check the communication.

You just said:

But I could successfully connect to each of my XBees and configure them, by connecting them through my arduino.

So, what you need now is a way to check the communication. The only ways I know how to do that involve two Arduinos, an Arduino and an USB Explorer board, or 2 USB Explorers.

I could only connect each XBee to PC and configure them separately.

Anyway,as I don’t have any usb explorer, Ill try to implement my system itself to test this.

But its possible to implement my system (i.e. Sensor>>XBee Tx(standalone) >>XBee Rx>> Arduino UNO board.), is it?

And after I configure my XBees as you mentioned, can I use any of both XBees as the TX module and other as RX module…?.. Because there is no configuration there that says this module only sends data and this only receives… is it?

But its possible to implement my system (i.e. Sensor>>XBee Tx(standalone) >>XBee Rx>> Arduino UNO board.), is it?

Yes.

Because there is no configuration there that says this module only sends data and this only receives.. is it?

No, that's the point of point-to-point. Neither end is master. Neither end is slave. Either can send data to the other, at any time.

Hope I would be able to make this work some..

Thanx for all the help so far.... :)