Problem with file uploading on Arduino UNO

Hi guys!
I have the following problem: when i try to upload a program on my board a message appears:

Serial port 'COM1' not found. Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial ports menu

But i can't do it because Serial ports menu is greyed out!

I use Ubuntu, Arduino IDE 0.18.
For the installation of Arduino i typed: sudo apt-get install arduino

Help plz =(

Hi had the same problem. I could fix it by adding myself to the group dialout. Command:

usermod -a -G dialout matthias

You have to be root to do this. matthias is my username you have to replace with yours. I had to restart the computer to be in this new group.

With the command 'groups' you can check if you are now part of the group dialout.

Done. But the problem persists... :frowning: I'm in dialout group now...

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Okay lets try it again.

My Arduino is connetced to /dev/ttyACM3. You need to be in the group dialout to use this device. Therefore it helped me.

First check out to what device your Arduino is connected. You can do this with dmesg. Just unplug it and plug it back in, then it should be in the last line of dmesg output.
Then go to /dev and with ls -l check out in what group you need to be in to use the device of your Arduino. The group might have a different name on your system.

Then check what group /dev/ttyUSB... is in and add yourself to that.

On openSUSE, it looks like this:

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2011-04-02 15:48 /dev/ttyUSB0

Ok solved. Let's download the last version (22) from arduino.cc and extract the folder in a directory (i extracted it in my home). Enter in the dir arduino-022/ and run ./arduino. Cool :smiley:

I hope that this solution will solve also your problems!! :grin: