Problem with high power NRF24L01

Hello all,

I've started to play with some low power NRFL2401 (the ones with the circuit antenna) and everything works fine. I've added the 10uF capacitors to them and all is well.

I now want to increase the range of communication between my nodes, so I bought some high power NRF24L01 (the ones with the screw-in antenna), added the 10uF capacitors to them and plugged them exactly the same way I had the other ones plugged in. I haven't changed anything in the code or in the pin hookup.

While the low power NRFs work just fine, the high power ones do not. They are being initialized and messages appear to be sent, but nothing is received on the other side.

I'm using the TMRh20 RF24 library.

Has anyone had a similar problem or knows how to solve this?
I'm a noob at arduino, but I haven't been able to find any other threads about this problem.
I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you!

Your power supply is probably too weak for the high power nrf's.

I believe the high-power modules need a separate 3.3v power supply. The Arduino 3.3v pin cannot provide enough current. Try powering the nRF24 with a pair of AA alkaline cells (3v) to see if that helps. Make sure the battery GND and the Arduino GND are connected.

Also, I believe the high-power modules don't work well at very close range - they are too powerful.

...R
Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

Robin2, what's your word on shielding these high-power units? I've seen a lot of discussion round-about saying that these units are prone to error when not provided with a grounded shield.

silly_cone:
Robin2, what's your word on shielding these high-power units? I've seen a lot of discussion round-about saying that these units are prone to error when not provided with a grounded shield.

I have no idea - I have never had a high-power version.

I have seen one other question about this - but no answer.

...R