Problem with Hyper Terminal

Hi,

I want to use my Arduino USB NG board to send information to PC via serial connection (on virtual COM3). When my program starts I set up initial parameter by sending their values to Arduino in dialog mode, then I receive and log incoming data. I test my code with Serial Monitor in Arduino 0007 Alpha IDE and everything is OK - I send and receive information to/from Arduino.

When I try to do this with Windows Hyper Terminal I can't send information to Arduino. The information is sending to Arduino only when I disconnect and connect again. With data that I receive I don't have problems.

Thanks.

Mellis will be able to answer this... but until then...my impression is that there seems to be a hidden control character that that the IDE sends to put the Arduino into "Serial Monitor" mode.

For example to adjust my software system clock on Arduino Board in IDE I send something like this string:

“h3im5dg” and

or:

‘h’
‘5’
‘i’
‘m’
‘5’
‘d’
‘g’

I know it looks strange ? whatever ?
In Hyper Terminal this don’t work, but I make it to work. I connect to COM3, write “h3im5dg”, click “Disconnect”, click “Connect” and characters are sent, the clock is set and I receive data from Arduino. If I don’t Disconnect-and-Connect I can’t send data.
It works, but this is very inconvenient way???..

Hyperterm is chronically broken. Pick any other terminal app and see if it helps.

Sorry, I don't do windows, so I can't recommend a specific application.

-j

HyperTerminal might be doing some sort of strange buffering, I'm not sure. There's nothing magic about the Arduino serial monitor (it doesn't send any special codes to the board or anything). Is there something particular you need to use HyperTerminal for?

I was experiencing a problem like this, i think i fixed it by changing the flow control settings. Putty now supports serial ports. you might want to give that a try.

Thanks for information.
Years ago (DOS, Win3.11, Win9x?) I worked with different terminal apps, now (WinXP) I have only HyperTerminal. But I'll try other terminal applications and OS (Winz and Linux) and will see the results.

FOund the problem... In HyperTerminal you have to set flow control to off to stop HT from buffering the input... Works like a charm now..

I was experiencing a problem like this, i think i fixed it by changing the flow control settings. Putty now supports serial ports. you might want to give that a try.

Ooops didn't read all the way through!!!

One terminal app that I can recommend (it was designed to facilitate communication with microcontrollers) is Brays Terminal.

http://www.smileymicros.com/download/term20040714.zip?&MNM_position=42:42