Problem with IDE crashing

Hi folks. I have windoze 7 64bit on running on AMD phenon x4 965 with 8b of RAM. The graphics card is an ATI (AMD) Radeon 5750.

I recall having read somewhere that the Arduino IDE is written in Java. I have a problem whereby whatever menu is selected in the IDE, my PC freezes, then recovers, but the IDE is closed.The symptoms returned indicated that the graphics card driver stopped working, and windoze resets the card driver. I have checked and/or tried all the stuff in this forum around checking the installation (inc the bits around disabling COM Ports etc). I have removed Java from the PC, and tried installing 32 bit and 64 bit bit versions on their own and together, also ensured I have the latest versions of Java and also the graphics card drivers. Nothing is over-clocked. The problem occurs whether or not my Arduino UNO board is plugged in.

Everything works very well on my laptop under Vista 32 bit.

This does not seem to be an IDE problem in itself, especially as my JAVA control panel itself exhibits similar problems, but does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

The symptoms returned indicated that the graphics card driver stopped working, and windoze resets the card driver

Ensure you have the latest video driver. Try a different (lower) color depth.

Thnkas for your idea. I did ensure I have the lastest video driver and actually uninstalled them and reinstalled them again. I also tried reducing the number of colours, resolution, removing hardware acceleration. Same problem thoough.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any direct help beyond the two suggestions. Similar issues have been discussed in the forum. You may find an answer by searching.