Problem with keyes IR sensor: LED on reciever won't turn off.

EDIT: The component was at fault. The issue is resolved :slight_smile:

I bought this kit yesterday: http://www.yourduino.com/sunshop/images/products/large_369_KeyesRobotRemote1.jpg
But everytime I power up my Arduino the LED on the reciever won’t stop shining. I have an example code that should print the values of the reciever’s input, but I get nothing.

I am sure that I have connected the reciever correctly, and I don’t think there is anything wrong with my code (shouldn’t be the problem with the LED problem either way). I have tried to move the reciever far away from any other electronics, without any difference.

When I use the remote, the LED shines brigther for about 5 seconds and then goes back to the constant state. Still no response in the monitor however.

I thought at first that the LED could be giving an input to the reciever itself, so it gets stuck in a loop. But firstly, I have tried to use some resistors to lower the LED output and also covering it with some tape without change, and secondly the LED shouldn’t even turn on at all when I power up the Arduino.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Here’s my code:

#include <IRremote.h>

int RECV_PIN = 11;

IRrecv irrecv(RECV_PIN);

decode_results results;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  irrecv.enableIRIn(); // Start the receiver
  Serial.println("Start");
}

void loop() {
      Serial.println(results.value, HEX);
  if (irrecv.decode(&results)) {
    Serial.println(results.value, HEX);
    irrecv.resume(); // Receive the next value
  }
}

I tried attaching a photo of the board here but it wouldn’t let me, so I used imgur instead:

Hi,
This is Terry from Yourduino.com - first.. we'll replace anything that's defective.

Let me check a unit here and I'll be back...

---( Continuing )----

(I've been travelling for a month; back yesterday so I have all my stuff...)

OK, your connections and code look right. I got a new "IR Infrared Robot Remote Control Kit "out and hooked it up and cut/pasted your code. It works...

So something you have is not working right. Let's divide and conquer :slight_smile:

(1) Get ANY other IR remote you have for your TV, etc. Point it at the receiver, push buttons. Does the receiver blink?

(2) Check the handheld remote you received has the shipping plastic removed.

NOTE!! The handheld remote has a small clear plastic piece in the battery compartment that must be removed to activate it. You can usually just pull it out.

BUT it seems like your receiver is bad; the LED should not be on until a signal is received.

One last always-try thing: Remove your wiring and reconnect with different wires.

Let us know.

Email me your order number; we'll ship you another kit.

Thanks for your very complete post about the problem!

Regards, Terry King
...In The Woods in Vermont, USA
terry@yourduino.com

I actually didn't order the kit from Yourduino, I only used the website as an example. Should have made that clear!
But I went to my local store and tried another sensor that worked, so the component was indeed at fault.

Thank you for your help!