problem with leonardo burn bootloader (AVRISP mkII)

everything works fine with my "AVRISP mkII"-Programmer (and my original Leonardo),
I can upload sketches with "Upload Using Programmer" - that works reliable and fast ...
(using 1.6.5-r5)

But when I wanted to burn the arduino bootloader with the "Burn Bootloader"-command,
then the error occurs:

"Error while burning bootloader.
"avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

if the normal "Upload Using Programmer"-command works fine,
what is different (or wrong) with the "Burn Bootloader"-command then.

does the "Burn Bootloader" command use other tools (AVRdude) or other settings/parameters
than the "Upload Using Programmer" -command ?

what can I do ?

Sounds like 1.6.x issue.
I'm still using 1.0.6 and Mkii works fine for both there.

CrossRoads:
Sounds like 1.6.x issue.
I’m still using 1.0.6 and Mkii works fine for both there.

It works before with another 1.6.x version …

now I tried to flash the bootloader hex-file with ATMEL Studio 7.0
then the error message occurs:

“Unable to parse objectfile arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\arduino\avr\bootloaders\caterina\Caterina-Leonardo.hex:”
“Unsupported format.”
“ModuleName: TCF”
“command: Modules:add failed.”
normally this specific error only occurs, if the checksum within the hex-file is not correct (!)

I downloaded again
https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler.php?f=/arduino-1.6.5-r5-windows.zip
unpacked it again but I got the same issue…

(if I burn another hex-file (e.g. “blink-example.cpp.hex” generated by the arduino-IDE) onto the leonardo, it works with Atmel-Studio 7 as well, no problems)

any Idea someone ?

[edit] I see, that ATMEL Studio 7 updated the firmware of the “AVRISP mkII”-Programmer to 1.18

[edit2] in the attachment you can see the whole log of avrdude when trying to burn the bootloader via the arduino IDE

as you can see there the first call of

“avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found AVRISP mkII, serno: 000200104408”
is successfully finding the AVRISP mkII and doing all the erasing and fuse setting
then there is a second call of “usbdev_open()” which obviously fails (?):

"avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device “usb” "

why is that ?

avrdude_logfile.txt (6.06 KB)

CrossRoads:
Sounds like 1.6.x issue.

seems that you are right,

because if I just execute the following 2 command lines in a shell window (cmd / win7)
everything works just fine so avrdude (executed "stand alone") does its 2 jobs well -> the IDE is the problem (!)

G:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CG:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cstk500v2 -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xcb:m -Uhfuse:w:0xd8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m

# wait a little bit ... then:

G:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CG:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cstk500v2 -Pusb -Uflash:w:G:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\arduino\avr/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex:i -Ulock:w:0x2F:m

[edit] the clue is the waiting between the two steps of programming,
if you don't wait, the programming will fail (!)
on my machine (win7 64) 3 seconds were not enough 5 seconds are OK

I use the following batch-file

"G:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude" -CG:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cstk500v2 -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xcb:m -Uhfuse:w:0xd8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m
timeout /t 5 /nobreak
"G:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude" -CG:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cstk500v2 -Pusb -Uflash:w:G:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\arduino\avr\bootloaders\caterina\Caterina-Leonardo.hex:i -Ulock:w:0x2F:m  
pause