problem with motor shield v1.1

hi...ive juz bought my arduino and motor shield v1.1 from littlebird electronics...i was wandering..can the motor shield drive two 3v tamiya dc motors? besides that, can i power the arduino+motor shield + 2dc motor using 1 single power source ...such as a 9v battery or even more?
thnks for the info

That page on the littlebird site doesn't really give any info. I wouldn't buy from them because they don't tell you what you're buying.

As a guess, I'd say it's using the 293 H-Bridge chips, in which case it can't drive the Tamiya motors. The voltage is too low and the current is too high on the Tamiya motors.

I think the Arduino platform really needs a good low voltage motor driver shield but so far, there isn't one.

Those Tamiya motors take around an amp in normal use, up to around 3 amps in a stall. Don't plan on powering them off a 9V battery. NiMH AA batteries should be able to handle it, but the battery life won't be impressive.

thx for the reply..
currently im having difficulty in finding the components to complete the motor shield...so i might scrap that
is there any other simple circuit which u would recommend to control the motor using arduino?
i juz need to make my dc motor to run forward for like 10seconds and reverse in direction
thx alot

thx for the reply…
currently im having difficulty in finding the components to complete the motor shield…so i might scrap that
is there any other simple circuit which u would recommend to control the motor using arduino?
i juz need to make my dc motor to run forward for like 10seconds and reverse in direction
thx alot

I haven’t gotten that far in my own project, but basically you’ll have to find a circuit for an H-Bridge that will work for the voltage and currents you need for the Tamiya motors. Then build the circuit on a protoshield board.

It might still be worth assembling the board you got and getting suitable motors to play with to learn. It’s one less thing to go wrong than starting from scratch, and there should be code available for that shield to have another less problem.

Are littlebird’s prices in Australian dollars? $18 just for that PCB is very expensive. LadyAda sells a pretty nice looking motor shield complete kit for $20 (It won’t work with the Tamiya motors either).

yea....coz i needed the chip fast..so i figured buying from a local distributor might be faster and cheaper...ended up the same i guess.i sort of found a way to find the chips from other distributor ,so i might go back to the thing
but ill have to change my motor which is a problem..can you tell me whats the minimum voltage requirement for the motor shield to work? coz tamiya ones are like 3-12v ...so im lost in what to get in replacement..
besides that, i still have the power source problem to sort out...
is it possible to power the motor and aduino both by battery? will that be sufficient?
thx alot mate...

yea....coz i needed the chip fast..so i figured buying from a local distributor might be faster and cheaper...ended up the same i guess.i sort of found a way to find the chips from other distributor ,so i might go back to the thing
but ill have to change my motor which is a problem..can you tell me whats the minimum voltage requirement for the motor shield to work? coz tamiya ones are like 3-12v ...so im lost in what to get in replacement..
besides that, i still have the power source problem to sort out...
is it possible to power the motor and aduino both by battery? will that be sufficient?
thx alot mate...

The L293D driver chips can work down to 4.5 volts, but the maximum current is 0.6A, which isn't nearly enough for those Tamiya motors. I haven't found a good alternative motor (all cheap motors seems to be low voltage, high current).

You can run the Arduino and motors off of batteries, but don't supply the motor power off the Arduino board, and Motors put a lot of noise on their power supply, so you might have problems like brownouts and resets.

hi..i figured i would use the sn74hc00n h-bridge ic.....thats the only one i can get my hands on..
its probably the same i guess.with the one u said.....
will it work with dc motor like this

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=YM2707&CATID=&keywords=dc+motor&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

thx for the info

hi..i figured i would use the sn74hc00n h-bridge ic.....thats the only one i can get my hands on..
its probably the same i guess.with the one u said.....
will it work with dc motor like this

I admit it's been a while since I've used 7400 series chips, but the 74HC00 is a quad 2-input NAND gate, not an h-bridge.

That jaycar motor should work with the shield you have, but the current demand is pushing it.

so its the 7400 series better or the L293d better? ive got a choice between those two...