Problem with program Pololu Dual VNH5019 Bluetooth HC-05

Hello
Sorry for my language but i dont speak english very well
I need help with program
I have Arduino Mega 2560, Pololu Dual VNH5019 Motor Driver Shield for Arduino, Battery LiPol 3.7V, 4x pololu motors 34:1 6V 6A, bluetooth HC-05

Can someone help me? I put some code below!

#include “DualVNH5019MotorShield.h”
DualVNH5019MotorShield md;
char dataIn=‘S’;char determinant;char det;int vel = 0; //Bluetooth Stuff
//int power = 4; // Remove This To Enable Tollge Switch #2
int overdrive = 13; //Press Toggle Switch #1, the pin13 LED will light up

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);md.init();
/pinMode(power , OUTPUT);/ //toggle switch function
pinMode(overdrive, OUTPUT);
}

void loop(){ det = check(); // You’l need to reconstruct this if your not using the Pololu Dual VNH5019

while (det == ‘F’) // F, move forward
{md.setSpeeds(vel,vel);det = check();}

while (det == ‘B’) // B, move back
{md.setSpeeds(-vel,-vel);det = check();}

while (det == ‘L’) // L, move wheels left
{md.setSpeeds(vel/4,vel);det = check();}

while (det == ‘R’) // R, move wheels right
{md.setSpeeds(vel,vel/4);det = check();}

while (det == ‘I’) // I, turn right forward
{md.setSpeeds(vel,vel/2);det = check();}

while (det == ‘J’) // J, turn right back
{md.setSpeeds(-vel,-vel/2);det = check();}

while (det == ‘G’) // G, turn left forward
{md.setSpeeds(vel/2,vel);det = check();}

while (det == ‘H’) // H, turn left back
{md.setSpeeds(-vel/2,-vel);det = check();}

while (det == ‘S’) // S, stop
{md.setSpeeds(0,0);det = check();}

//---------------------Toggle switch code------------------//
/* while (det == ‘U’)
{digitalWrite(power, HIGH);det = check();}
while (det == ‘u’)
{digitalWrite(power, LOW);det = check();}*/
//---------------------Mains Power------------------//
while (det == ‘W’)
{digitalWrite(overdrive, HIGH);det = check();}
while (det == ‘w’)
{digitalWrite(overdrive, LOW);det = check();}
}

int check()
{if (Serial.available() > 0) {dataIn = Serial.read();
if (dataIn == ‘F’){determinant = ‘F’;}
else if (dataIn == ‘B’){determinant = ‘B’;}else if (dataIn == ‘L’){determinant = ‘L’;}
else if (dataIn == ‘R’){determinant = ‘R’;}else if (dataIn == ‘I’){determinant = ‘I’;}
else if (dataIn == ‘J’){determinant = ‘J’;}else if (dataIn == ‘G’){determinant = ‘G’;}
else if (dataIn == ‘H’){determinant = ‘H’;}else if (dataIn == ‘S’){determinant = ‘S’;}
else if (dataIn == ‘0’){vel = 400;}else if (dataIn == ‘1’){vel = 380;}
else if (dataIn == ‘2’){vel = 340;}else if (dataIn == ‘3’){vel = 320;}
else if (dataIn == ‘4’){vel = 280;}else if (dataIn == ‘5’){vel = 240;}
else if (dataIn == ‘6’){vel = 200;}else if (dataIn == ‘7’){vel = 160;}
else if (dataIn == ‘8’){vel = 120;}else if (dataIn == ‘9’){vel = 80;}
else if (dataIn == ‘q’){vel = 40;}else if (dataIn == ‘U’){determinant = ‘U’;}
else if (dataIn == ‘u’){determinant = ‘u’;}else if (dataIn == ‘W’){determinant = ‘W’;}
else if (dataIn == ‘w’){determinant = ‘w’;}}return determinant;}

You will have to explain what your code is intended to do and how it is intended to work. Also tell us how it actually works.

You have a huge number of else if statements. Write a shorter program with just one of them and get that to work first.

And please modify your Post to put your code in code tags (use the button like a scroll with <>)

so it looks like this and easy to read and copy.

…R

Hi Robin2,

Just read this forum post and realize ‘Aarm’ has the same issue as I.

He is trying to compile the sketches with Arduino Uno R3 and Pololu Motor shield driver, HC-05 Bluetooth Module to control Pololu VHN 5019 motors with wheels for the inside apparatus of a lifesize BB-8 droid.

None of the code provided for this ‘DIY’ project seems to work fully, just one or two little coding errors which I am researching non-stop to understand, but to no avail it seems. I work in satellite/RF with minor programming but I am completely new to coding Arduino and drivers etc. I do know hardware and know my connections and wiring are good but this coding is not working for some very simple reason I’m thinking. Droid has been built for a few weeks and being held up by this frustrating ‘speedbump’ any help you can provide is extremely welcomed!

Here is the provided sketches as it looks identical to Aarm’s:

Here are the error messages IDE reports:
Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows 8), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

C:\Users\Trent\Documents\Arduino\Pololu_Arduino_Motor_test\Pololu_Arduino_Motor_test.ino:5:36: fatal error: DualVNH5019MotorShield.h: No such file or directory

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

IF you see this anytime soon I’d greatly appreciate the help Robin2 or anyone else reading
Thanks
Trent

Pololu_Arduino_Motor_test.ino (1.45 KB)

Please modify your post and use the code button </> so your code looks like this and is easy to copy to a text editor. See How to use the Forum

I mentioned this in Reply #1

Also, please use the AutoFornat tool to indent your program so it is easier to read.

And post a link to the other Thread you have mentioned.

If your problem is essentially identical why not pool your questions with the other person so that we don’t have to answer the same questions twice?

…R

Thanks for the expedient reply Robin2!

I am going through and learning how the forum works and learning, not certain if you mean to take the code off message or add attachments for easier viewing (added the actual ino files)

Here is the link to the project: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Life-Size-Phone-Controlled-BB8-Droid/

I noticed Aarm has one post and not been back to reply since 2015

Additionally, I did try the 'auto-format' several times with the codes provided but no change in result

It's saying "include the pololu motor driver" but won't accept it. Do you remove the quotation marks and replace or leave them?

Thanks for the suggestion of indentation and structure and trying to grasp as much as possible to get this rolling Cheers

I meant that you should present your program like this

#include "DualVNH5019MotorShield.h"

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void stopIfFault()
{
if (md.getM1Fault())
{
Serial.println("M1 fault");
while(1);
}
if (md.getM2Fault())
{
Serial.println("M2 fault");
while(1);
}
}
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(115200);
Serial.println("Dual VNH5019 Motor Shield");
md.init();
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}for (int i = 0; i <= 400; i++)
{
md.setM1Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
Serial.print("M1 current: ");
Serial.println(md.getM1CurrentMilliamps());
}delay(2);
}
for (int i = 400; i >= -400; i--)
{
md.setM1Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
}for (int i = -400; i <= 0; i++)
{
md.setM1Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
}
for (int i = 0; i <= 400; i++)
{
md.setM2Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
Serial.print("M2 current: ");
Serial.println(md.getM2CurrentMilliamps());
}
delay(2);
}
{
md.setM2Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
{
md.setM2Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
}

and please do the same for the other program file.

…R

Hi,

Thanks very much for taking the time to offer that revised code Robin, but still getting the same error.

I have tried everything, including uninstalling and re-installing Arduino software to try to correct this library issue. I tried putting the library for this code in the library folder in c drive and documents and it still says...'No such such file or directory...maddening!!!

Any ideas to correct this?

Additionally, I have been going through every possible site to find a decent explanation of the libraries but not really helping. I use Maya and Zbrush and understand how it works but some files appear in the IDE when I go to Sketch > include library> but only some of them appear there as well???

I have programmed the bluetooth module with Pololu Motor shield driver and arduino no problem, so don’t understand why this code is not just working…same thing with servo ‘sweep’ code straight from arduino library…very frustrating!

TM_3DDesign: Thanks very much for taking the time to offer that revised code Robin,

I did not revise your code - I just displayed it the way I want you to display it. I also asked you to post your other program file in the same way but you have not done so.

When you post your code so it is easy to study we can get down to work on your problem.

...R

Okay, going over how you structured it compared to the other, but I still don’t fully understand where to put certain code/variables etc. let alone the totally proper code structure where and when.

I notice different, less complicated "if’ or ‘else’ variables like you have mentioned, but difficult to grasp what all is different outside of those variables and the notes made in file by it’s originator.

``

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void stopIfFault()
{
if (md.getM1Fault())
{
while(1);
}
if (md.getM2Fault())
{
while(1);
}
}
void setup()
{

Serial.begin(115200);
md.init();
}

void loop() {

}for (int i = 0; i <= 400; i++)
{
md.setM1Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}delay(2);
}
{
md.setM1Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
{
md.setM1Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
}
{
md.setM2Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
}
{
md.setM2Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
{
md.setM2Speed(i);
stopIfFault();
if (i%200 == 100)
{
}
delay(2);
}

IDE compiliing Report states everytime:

C:\Users\Trent\Documents\Arduino\libraries\BB8s_Arduino_Code\DualVNH5019MotorShield\DualVNH5019MotorShield.ino:1:36: fatal error: DualVNH5019MotorShield.h: No such file or directory

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
"

Sorry, that other ino was a setup for the HC-05 bluetooth, module to change names, baud rates and passwords etc.

Attached is the ino for the other file I was talking about. If you mean you wish me to type out the file with structure you used I cannot at the moment as I am at work and can try later. Please clarify if that is what you are asking. Here is the original code in the ‘code’ format for this forum.

Thank you.

void stopIfFault()
{
  if (md.getM1Fault())
  {
    while(1);
  }
  if (md.getM2Fault())
  {
    while(1);
  }
}

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  md.init();
}

void loop()
{
  {
    md.setM1Speed(i);
    stopIfFault();
    if (i%200 == 100)
    {
    }
    delay(2);
  }

{
    md.setM1Speed(i);
    stopIfFault();
    if (i%200 == 100)
    {
    }
    delay(2);
  }

for (int i = -400; i <= 0; i++)
  {
    md.setM1Speed(i);
    stopIfFault();
    if (i%200 == 100)
    {
    }
    delay(2);
  }

{
    md.setM2Speed(i);
    stopIfFault();
    if (i%200 == 100)
    {
    }
    delay(2);
  }

{
    md.setM2Speed(i);
    stopIfFault();
    if (i%200 == 100)
    {
    }
    delay(2);
  }

for (int i = -400; i <= 0; i++)
  {
    md.setM2Speed(i);
    stopIfFault();
    if (i%200 == 100)
    {
    }
    delay(2);
  }
}

DualVNH5019MotorShield.ino (1.64 KB)

This has been dragging on and I am now completely confused.

Unless I am imagining things you originally attached two .ino files and I posted one of them in Reply #6 so you could see the appropriate way to do it. And I asked you to do the same for the other file. I have no idea what has happened to the Post with those files.

It now seems that you are saying I should ignore all the earlier an just work on the program in Reply #11. Please say whether that is correct and whether it is the ONLY relevant program.

And you also need to tell me what that program does wrong and what you want it to do.

...R

Hi,

Yes, you and me both. This seems very difficult to troubleshoot anything.

The other file 'Bluetooth' I removed because I already figured that one out and is working fine.

I understand what you are saying about keeping good structure etc, but I do not understand what it is you have been saying, nor asking regarding the code that will not compile to upload to my Arduino. I have tried to explain numerous times but you continue talking about how the code should appear on this forum. As explained I am learning as quick as possible but I don't understand the code fully enough to understand what it is you are really asking for.

Greatly appreciate that you are replying to try to assist, but I simply just need to know why this "Pololu Dual Motor Shield" arduino file (downloaded straight from GitHub) keeps giving the 'fatal error' upon trying to compile in arduino. I can find no other proper tutorials nor to get any other legitimate, working Pololu Shield and driver motors code uploaded and get this thing rolling.

This is the Arduino's IDE report once again:

C:\Users\Trent\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DualVNH5019MotorShield\DualVNH5019MotorShield\examples\DualVNH5019MotorShield\DualVNH5019MotorShield.ino:1:36: fatal error: DualVNH5019MotorShield.h: No such file or directory

include "DualVNH5019MotorShield.h"

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1 Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Explained I have tried everything to get the file to work properly with this library system but saying to "#include DualVNH5019MotorShield.h" which I am doing and file is in both my documents and c drive Arduino libraries but will not work.

I guess if any simple question to ask...why is there the 'h' included in the file name on code and is that perhaps why the IDE cannot recognize nor compile it? Or is my library messed up?? Other files are compiling effortlessly so do not get it whatsoever.

Let’s keep things very simple.

Is the program in Reply #11 the program that is causing a problem YES or NO.

If the problem is that it cannot find the file #include "DualVNH5019MotorShield.h" there are two main possibilities. Either you have not installed the library or it is looking in the wrong place for it.

If you know you have installed the library the first thing I would try is changing that line to #include <DualVNH5019MotorShield.h>

When you use quotes the compiler expects to find the file in the same directory as the .ino file. When you use <> it expects to find it in the libraries directory (which is probably in your sketchbook directory)

…R
PS. For the future don’t make changes to existing posts apart from correcting typos.

Yes I agree, simple is better, appreciate it.

I guess I am starting to grasp some of the variables required as I tried using the arrows (<>) after researching code errors and seeing that’s how many of the sketches had been formatted but still to no avail.

It’s definitely the library issue, but still had this error the first attempt at compiling it to board.

As I mentioned I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Arduino software several times now to try to correct this issue but every time I download from Arduino site to install and then install, when I try to open certain ino files a window pops up and it says “no sketchbook folder found, would you like to create one and move the file there”…it creates it, but most of the sketch files I have downloaded do not show up in the ‘Sketch’ >‘Include Library’ option. I have even tried renaming folder and ino files to keep the naming conventions exactly the same so it can find them but does not work either.

I have read and seen tutorials that say sometimes certain versions of the Arduino software don’t create a libraries folder automatically and you need to create one in either the C drive Arduino folder or the my documents Arduino folder. I have also tried changing the file path in preferences to documents and c drive library folder but doesn’t seem to fix this issue.

My most frustrating confusion, has been mostly trying to understand the difference in ‘Sketchbook’ directory and the ‘libraries’ directory as you state. The ino files are sketches, that are in the library folder…so what is the difference? I realize the sketches you create and save after are directed and placed in the ‘sketchbook’ folder. These files are now showing in the ‘File>Sketchbook>Arduino>libraries’ drop down menu but still giving ‘fatal error’ and saying the file or directory does not exist on compiling but the files are all there in both my documents and Cdrive Arduino folders as mentioned…?

This is the code I need to make this work properly and so I can tweak for certain wheel/servo speeds etc. This was my first confusion, as the file was named “BB8_Arduino_Code” but the error in compiler says…"#include “DualVNH5019MotorShield.h”…is the naming convention all messed up perhaps??

/*
#include <Servo.h>
Servo myservo; 
*/

char dataIn='S';
char determinant;
char det;
int vel = 200; //Bluetooth Stuff

int overdrive = 13; //Press Toggle Switch #1, the pin13 LED will light up

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);md.init();

/*
myservo.attach(6);delay(100);
myservo.write(90);delay(100);
*/

}

void loop(){ det = check();  // You'll need to reconstruct this if your not using the Pololu Dual VNH5019

while (det == 'F')   // F, move forward
       {md.setSpeeds(vel,vel);det = check();}

while (det == 'B')   // B, move back
       {md.setSpeeds(-vel,-vel);det = check();}

while (det == 'L')   // L, move wheels left
       {md.setSpeeds(-vel,vel);det = check();}

while (det == 'R')   // R, move wheels right
       {md.setSpeeds(vel,-vel);det = check();}

while (det == 'I')   // I, turn right forward
       {md.setSpeeds(vel,vel/2);det = check();}

while (det == 'J')   // J, turn right back
       {md.setSpeeds(-vel,-vel/2);det = check();}  

while (det == 'G')   // G, turn left forward
       {md.setSpeeds(vel/2,vel);det = check();}

while (det == 'H')   // H, turn left back
       {md.setSpeeds(-vel/2,-vel);det = check();}  

while (det == 'S')   // S, stop
       {md.setSpeeds(0,0);det = check();}

//---------------------Toggle switch code------------------//
      /*while (det == 'W'){myservo.write(180);delay(100);det = check();} 
      while (det == 'w'){myservo.write(90);delay(100);det = check();} 

while (det == 'U'){myservo.write(0);delay(100);det = check();} 
      while (det == 'u'){myservo.write(90);delay(100);det = check();} 
      */

}

int check()
{if (Serial.available() > 0) {dataIn = Serial.read(); 
        if (dataIn == 'F'){determinant = 'F';} 
        else if (dataIn == 'B'){determinant = 'B';}else if (dataIn == 'L'){determinant = 'L';}
        else if (dataIn == 'R'){determinant = 'R';}else if (dataIn == 'I'){determinant = 'I';} 
        else if (dataIn == 'J'){determinant = 'J';}else if (dataIn == 'G'){determinant = 'G';}   
        else if (dataIn == 'H'){determinant = 'H';}else if (dataIn == 'S'){determinant = 'S';}
        else if (dataIn == '0'){vel = 400;}else if (dataIn == '1'){vel = 380;}
        else if (dataIn == '2'){vel = 340;}else if (dataIn == '3'){vel = 320;}
        else if (dataIn == '4'){vel = 280;}else if (dataIn == '5'){vel = 240;}
        else if (dataIn == '6'){vel = 200;}else if (dataIn == '7'){vel = 160;}
        else if (dataIn == '8'){vel = 120;}else if (dataIn == '9'){vel = 80;}
        else if (dataIn == 'q'){vel = 40;}
        else if (dataIn == 'U'){determinant = 'U';}else if (dataIn == 'u'){determinant = 'u';}
        else if (dataIn == 'W'){determinant = 'W';}else if (dataIn == 'w'){determinant = 'w';}

}return determinant;}

Losing my noodle Robin! lol

My apologies for deleting the old code but I thought that was what you were originally asking me to do for this forum and to read easier

Hmmm...troubleshooting in right direction me thinks, just changed 'preferences' of directory back to C drive library and this is the report, minus the 'fatal error' finally...thankfully. Brings back painful nightmares and devastation when I was learning Maya and ZBrush years back hahaha

Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows 8), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -built-in-libraries "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\libraries" -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10608 -build-path "C:\Users\Trent\AppData\Local\Temp\build34bfa7c84564e582a68673a516bc9a0f.tmp" -warnings=all -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\BB8_Arduino_Code\BB8_Arduino_Code.ino"
open C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\libraries: The system cannot find the file specified.

TM_3DDesign:
This was my first confusion, as the file was named “BB8_Arduino_Code” but the error in compiler says…"#include “DualVNH5019MotorShield.h”…is the naming convention all messed up perhaps??

That does not make sense to me.

What file was name BB8 … ? If that was the .ino file I don’t see why you would confuse it with the name of a library file.

You have mentioned re-installing the Arduino IDE (and I can sympathize with your problems with sketchbook directories). But you have not mentioned downloading and installing the DualVNH… library.

I am using Linux so my arrangements will be a little different. In the preferences section of the IDE you can choose the location for your sketchbook directory - and you can call it whatever you want, it does not have to be named “sketchbook”. Mine is named “Arduino”

Within the directory that the IDE believes is the sketchbook directory you need a directory called “libraries” (must be that spelling) and that is where downloaded libraries go. They will then by found by #include <…>

Alas, there is sometimes another level of complexity. Sometimes when you download a library you need to make a small change to the name of the library fiile - you need to read the library download instructions.

…R

Still not working whatsoever. Even took apart and rebuilt shield driver, cleaned up soldering etc but still getting 'invalid library' for any pololu motor shield library/sketchbook files.

Yes, I have spent hours, days renaming files and trying to troubleshoot this ridiculous issue. The wizard of pain who posted these files even uses improper naming conventions (as even I know not to do with my 3D Modeling training and experience with file names and hierarchies etc!!)

I uninstalled once again, cleaned out all Arduino files on computer and then reinstalled. Tried a sketch for a servo and it did compile and upload properly but only made the servo make a whirring noise and no function so going to test wiring/connection and voltage etc on that end.

All board ights are lighting properly and LEDs on Wheels (red/green in both directions) Then tried downloading the same file from github again and no luck. One of the folders has () and - in it so renamed and still giving same error!!!!!

I am going through all the forums, tutorials and still gives fatal error or invalid library warning, ready to literally hulk smash it right about now really

TM_3DDesign: I am going through all the forums, tutorials and ...

Narrow your scope a little.

Go through each of my comments in Reply #17 and tell me what is your response to each of them. Then we may get on the same wavelength (or the same page) I may be able to help. Although I say it myself I am not too bad at diagnosing problems.

...R