Problem with uploading bootloader for ATmega8

Hi,

i have just came across the tutorial on :
http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Tutorials/ArduinoBreadboard

I have an Atmega8 chip and a parallel AVR programmer.
i have inserted the Atmega8 and selected the “Diecimilia” option in Board menu in arduino 0016, and the parallel programmer option in Burn Bootloader menu.

but i keep getting a message that says :
Expected signature for ATMEGA16 is … (i don’t remember).

even when i choose the Arduino NG board w/Atmega8, i get a message :
Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 93 07

I was not able to burn the bootloader to my Atmega8 using the parallel programmer via Arduino.

What am i wondering is that in the tutorial (which is about Atmega8) it is just told to use one of these ways.

Please let me know if i am mistaking any steps, or if i should do any thing additional.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

i have inserted the Atmega8 and selected the "Diecimilia"

and it reports:-

Expected signature for ATMEGA16 is ..

So clearly it is expecting to program a 168 not an 8 chip.

even when i choose the Arduino NG board w/Atmega8, i get a message : Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 93 07

You might have blown the signature bits, are you applying an external clock at this time? That is do you have a crystal attached to your chip? The data sheet says:-

Signature may be Erased in Serial Programming Mode If the signature bytes are read before a chiperase command is completed, the signature may be erased causing the device ID and calibration bytes to disappear. This is critical, especially, if the part is running on internal RC oscillator. Problem Fix / Workaround: Ensure that the chiperase command has exceeded before applying the next command.

Try and change the code so you can see what signature bits you are reading.

Ironically the parallel programmer uses the serial programming command set, it's just the PC interface that is parallel not the ATmega.

You might have blown the signature bits, are you applying an external clock at this time? That is do you have a crystal attached to your chip?

Yes, i have applied the external crystal,

The problem is that when i check the signature with CodeVision, it says: 1Eh 93h 07h

i think the h is for Hex,

and the Arduino is reporting the same, but things just don't work.

Please take a look at here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1244051136/13#13

I am going to get an Arduino board, may be something i am mistaking is causing problems,

Thanks,

Does it give up when it gives that error? The parallel port programmer in Arduino is configured to use the -F option to avrdude, which should continue burning even if there is a signature mismatch.

This is the error i get:

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 93 07
avrdude: AVR device not responding
 ***failed;
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0xca != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

It does not burn the bootloader and gives up, because my previous program on the Atmega is working in its circuit.

BTW, is there any way to read the chip signature from Arduino or the included avrdude ? because it just says:

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 93 07

and doesn't say which signature has it read which is invalid !

Thanks,