Problem with (very) old serial Parallax servor controller.... need help.....

Hi,

I have been programming the Arduino nano for some time now to use with my RC-Models. I never had a problem that lasted longer than a quick search thought the topic in this excellent (!!!) forum !

But now -over night so to speak- I have a huge problem:

I am using this SSC

to control several functions of a SAR-Ship with a rear hatch to accomodate a smaller rescue boat. This SSC is perfect because of its integrated ramping. This allows me to let down the hatch in a speed matching the original.

It worked absolutely fine !!! But now, for no obvious reason to me it stopped working an I cannot adress the SSC and the attached servo any more.

The SSC is attached to the +5V, GND and TX pins of the nano by some 10cm of wire.

To find the correct values for the servos I used this little routine:

void setup() {
}
void loop() {
//max 1215
//min 620
//ramp 18

int joya;
byte loa, hia, channel, ramp;

channel = 2;
ramp = 18;

joya = 1215;
loa = lowByte(joya);
hia = highByte(joya);
Serial.begin(2400);
Serial.write("!SC");
Serial.write(channel);
Serial.write(ramp);
Serial.write(loa);
Serial.write(hia);
Serial.write(13);
Serial.end();
delay(1500);

joya = 620;
loa = lowByte(joya);
hia = highByte(joya);
Serial.begin(2400);
Serial.write("!SC");
Serial.write(channel);
Serial.write(ramp);
Serial.write(loa);
Serial.write(hia);
Serial.write(13);
Serial.end();
delay(1500);
}

Since I did not change the wiring for my tests, used 2 different SSCs (which I checkt with a BasicStamp to make sure they were both ok), checked on voltages (got 6V on the Vin, 6V to the SSCs servo-input, an d of course the 5V from Arduino to logic input of the SSC)

The whole thing is dead simple and worked ok, so I am totally lost on why I cannot adress the SSC and the servo any more. I do not want to use the Soft-Serial on other pins because in the model, I have a double-nano-unit and need all the pins…

I checked on some issues like mine on several forums, dating back to 2008 an 2010 but with older versions of the Arduino-software (I use the 1.8.9 at the moment…). But nothing I found there did help me.

So I have some questions:

Did I do anything wrong and it just worked “by chance” anyway ?
Does anybody have any experience (up to date that is) with this SSC ?
Or -since I need that fuctionality- does anybody know a I2C- or serial-SSC that has ramping integrated ?
(I also have the Adafruit-16 Chan-SSC, but there you have to ramp in software on the nano…)

Or, if I overlooked a post that answered to my problems, could anybody please point me to it ?

It would be graet if anyone could help, because my SAR-model is not working well without the controller… (btw: for those interested: SAR-Cruiser Hermann Marwede, 1:72 scale by Revell)

Thanks very much in advance !

Andreas

Learn about posting with tags.

URL
code

etc.

will do when I get around to it. But does that Keep you from helping or don´t you have an answer ?

I read your post, but
i’m unfamiliar with that controller… I e
was trying to help you get more help. - faster.
Good luck.
As you’ve suggested you’re powering stuff from the +5 pin of the ‘duino… that where i’d start looking. The Arduino is unable to power much more than a couple of off board LEDS, very unlikely to work reliably with a servo.