Problem with Virtual Wireir

Hi,

I am new to the Arduino system and I am tasked to do up a wireless transmission system. I followed these instructions from Instructables. This is exactly what I need.

I followed all the instructions, however Virtual Wire is not installing the way its meant to. I cant seem to get my serial port to COM XX. It just shows the default tty usb serial etc.

I got my Virtual Wire from VirtualWire Library, for very cheap wireless communication

Oh I am using a mac.

Many Thanks.

zarafong:
Virtual Wire is not installing the way its meant to.

Can't help you without a LOT more detail. What way is it meant to install and in what way is it installing different from that?

zarafong:
I cant seem to get my serial port to COM XX. It just shows the default tty usb serial etc.

Oh I am using a mac.

The Mac doesn't use COM port numbers like Windows. It uses names like you see in the list. Use the name in place of where the instructable for Windows says to use a COM port number.

the main problem was that it does not have COM ports which you have already addressed. however I have tried all the serial port listed on it and it still wont upload. I am using the same components except one which is Arduino lily pad USB FTDI connector. would that also cause a problem?

This is the problem stated when i try to upload the code - avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xf9
The code was just copied from the site and it was able to be compile

And this is the code i am using.

//Transmitter Code (Uno)

#include <VirtualWire.h>

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);

vw_setup(2000);
vw_set_tx_pin(7);
}

void loop()
{
if(Serial.available())
{
char c = Serial.read();

if(c == ‘1’)
{
vw_send((uint8_t *)c, 1);
}
else if(c == ‘0’)
{
vw_send((uint8_t *)c, 1);
}
}
}

Many thanks

zarafong:
I am using the same components except one which is Arduino lily pad USB FTDI connector. would that also cause a problem?

Did you install the latest FTDI virtual communication port drivers? Does the FTDI adapter show up in System Information under Hardware/USB?