Problems bootloading a nano with another nano

So 2 weeks ago my finger slipped while pluging a jumper, and unfortunately I hit the reset button.

The bootloader on my nano has been corrupted :confused:

I bought another Nano, it works fine, and I want to use it as an ISP to burn the bootloader on the other arduino.

I plugged the wires as written in the file “ArduinoISP”, uploaded the sketch to the working arduino, and clicked on “burn bootloader”

Now I get this message:

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

How can I fix this? I bought the nano only to repair the other one and it’s really a problem.

(don’t tell me to look on the Internet I spent the last 3 hours doing so)

I tried with better wire connections, using real pin headers and now I get this:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x15 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x15

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x14

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x10 avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): unknown response=0x12 Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

So 2 weeks ago my finger slipped while pluging a jumper, and unfortunately I hit the reset button.

The lesson is never ever wire up a powered up circuit. A professional would never do that, it is a great way to destroy components and chips.

Have you disabled the auto reset circuit? Have you got the grounds common? Have you selected the right board from the IDE's tools menu?

Both boards are using an ATMega328P and a CH340 usb the serial chip, So I don't have to select another board.

auto-reset? ground commons? what are these?

Here are the pin connections:

WORKING ARDUINO | FAILED ARDUINO

+5V ICSP VCC GND ICSP GND D12 ICSP MISO D13 ICSP SCK D11 ICSP MOSI D10 ICSP RST

I use the "Arduino as ISP" programmer.

Use Nick Gammon's bootloader installer sketch instead. http://www.gammon.com.au/bootloader

I tried with this one, but when I start the serial monitor I get this:

躣’8¸”‹mø\úÂøzšé»ù

auto-reset? ground commons? what are these?

Common ground is connecting the ground between the two Arduinos.

Auto reset is the DTR signal from the USB that resets the programmer arduino. You disable the reset line by cutting this line or overwhelming it by using a large capacitor.

Still doesn't work.

I tried with proper male/female cables and I still get the "invalide device signature" error.

The "invalide device signature" error is telling you that the device you are trying to connect to is not the one that it is expecting to connect to. Therefore you have got something wrong. Have you disabled the auto reset?

Unless we know more about what you specifically have done we don't stand much of a chance in spotting what you have done wrong.

So how about some photographs of your setup.

I removed some wires to make the picture better. (and I also put a 100 ohm resistor + a 22 ohm one in series between GND and RST on the failed board)

|500x300 |500x300 |500x300 |500x300

(sorry for image quality)

I also put a 100 ohm resistor + a 22 ohm one in series between GND and RST on the failed board

Why? The reset should be connected directly to the programmer board.

I can't see how you have disabled the auto reset on the programmer board.

OK I keep getting errors.

Can anyone just send me a schematic or just the pin combinations?

About that auto-reset thing: Do I need to plug a jumper (or diode) between the failed board's RST and GND or between the working one's pins?

Then, do I really need resistors between RST and GND?

I spent the last 3 days trying to make this thing work, it's getting anoying, I need the 2 arduinos for a project related to EEPROM chips.

I get this error:

Atmega chip programmer. Written by Nick Gammon. Version 1.33 Compiled on May 22 2015 at 21:33:21 with Arduino IDE 10604. Attempting to enter programming mode ...................................................... Failed to enter programming mode. Double-check wiring! Programming mode off. Type 'C' when ready to continue with another chip ...

I connected the pins like this, to try:

FAILED BOARD | WORKING BOARD

MISO | MISO MOSI | MOSI SCK | SCK VCC | VCC GND | GND RST | RST

"RST | RST" Wrong connection. Read the directions a little closer. I think it's D10 on master to Reset on part being programmed.

I just tried it. Didn't work, same error. I'll try with the resistor between RST master and GND master

Didn't work too.

This is the last time I am going to tell you.

The auto reset on the programming Arduino needs to be disabled.

I just said I tried with disabled auto-reset!

There is a 122 Ohm resistor between MASTER RST and MASTER GND.

This is my current setup.
First, I upload the sketch to the WORKING board.
Once it’s uploaded, I open a 115200 BAUD serial terminal.

It fails to enter programming mode, and asks me to type ‘C’ to retry.

BUT when the resistors are installed, Nothing shows up in the terminal. And I can't upload anything.