problems programming arduino wirelessly with xbee

I have a funnel i/o made by seeedstudios.

I followed the FIO instructions and the more detailed laydyada instructions for setting up the xbees for wireless programming. I made sure that I had the correct firmware and used compatible xbee pro modules. I also added the correct jumpers to the usb xbee adapter and to the FIO board.

The only things I am doing different is ssing the xbee usb module form www.elecfreedom.com instead of the sparkfun one.

Everytime I try to program I get the following error from arduino:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I also have two FIO's and both had the same problem.

Here is the even more confusing part:

I was able to program one of them once. Since then I have never been able to reprogram it or program the other FIO.

Any ideas what could be causing the problems?

p.s. One thing I did not do is modify my Funnel i/o to include the transitor for helping pull the reset line low. This was never instructed on the Funnel i/o blog but I wonder if this may be they key to resolving the problem?

More to add:

When I program, the L1, L2 and L3 leds light up on my xbee usb dongle. The receiving device also has the RSSI light go on for a couple of seconds. It seems like the transfer starts out ok and then it fails and I get the message I posted in above.

Binary sketch size: 7920 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Well, for what it's worth, the exothermia.net monkeys and robots narcisystem page includes the following paragraph--note especially the last two sentences:

"At the heart of the belt is a Funnel IO Arduino clone from Sparkfun Electronics. This excellent piece of hardware has a built-in XBee socket, USB power, and a LiPO charge circuit built in. Its my board of choice for new designs. This Arduino sucked in all the sensor readings, and transmitted them via serial XBee to my Powerbook. I used an XBee Adapter Kit from Ladyada to interface XBee to the computer. Note, if you're trying this at home, do not follow Ladyada's instructions to program a Funnel IO over XBee (at least on OSX.) Instead, use the configurator tool that comes with Funnel IO."

[Emphasis mine]

The Yabb software wouldn't let me post a live link, sorry about that.

I was thinking of getting some FIOs to play with myself, but since you've reported trouble I might wait until I know more.

it turned out for me that the sole problem was that I was using Xbee Pro’s instead of regular xbees. In fact, as soon as I tried the regular xbees it worked on first try.

No one has been able to explain why this is the case so far.

By regular xbee's do you mean series 1 or series 2.5, because from what I understand, the series 2.5 xbee's require a little different setup than series 1, and a lot of the original setup instructions were written for series 1.