Problems that occur when trying to upload Binky (with work around)

I can not upload the brinky sketch to my Yun either by the micro USB port or Wifi connection. Yes, I have upgraded to latest the OpenWRT.

When I try to used the micro USB port, I get the following error:/root/arduino-1.5.8/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The Linux (Fatdog64) system does have the file libncurses.so.5 located in /lib32. Do I have to make a symlink to another directory to correct the problem? If I do what is the directory where the symlink is needed?

When I try Wifi connection, I have a different problem. The board is detected on the network and port value is the correct Ip address. When I try uploading, I get the following:

Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload. at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.waitForUploadPort(SerialUploader.java:199) at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:95) at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1713) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1624) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1596) at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2392) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.

What do I need to do to correct this? Thank you in advance for any help on this. I did do a search, but, could not find a solution.

Here is some more information on the library problem. I determine that avrdude_bin was the part of the IDE that was looking for libncurses with the command ldd. I do know the last release of fatdog64 does have the correct version of libncurses.so.5. I installed the IDE version 1.5.8 on the 630 version. avrdude_bin got past libncurses, but then failed on looking for libtinfo.so.5.

A web search found that iibtinfo should now be included into libncurses.so.5. I tried linking the name libtinfo.so.5 to libncurses.so.5. The command ldd avrdude_bin still reported libtinfo.so.5 as not found. The web searching also had references that libncurses should be replaced by the newer libncursesw version. Hopefully, in the future, the IDE will use libncursesw in place of libncurses and libtinfo.

Fatdog64 version 634 has java version 1.6.0.45. I do not know if this is an issue.

At this point, I have nothing on the wifi connection problem. The IDE has detected the board and the correct IP address. It does have correct board name after the ip address in the port entry. I first have to make a usb connection to the board and then it will be detected when on wifi. Additionally, down in the lower right hand correct it has /dev/ttyACM0 for the associated port. I do not know if this is correct or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

I have tried the 32 bit version of IDE 1.5.8 on Slacko 5.7.0 version of Puppy Linux. The USB upload works fine. The IDE with Slacko does not detect the Yun board on the network. I have no idea what to try to determine why the network connection is not found. I have done several searches of both the forum and the web.

I did do a library check (ldd) on the 32 bit version avrdude_bin. The 32 bit version does not use the two libraries (libncurses or libtinfo) in question. To the best of my knowledge, libncurses and libtinfo are 32 bit libraries. Which raises the question, why is the 64 bit version of avrdude_bin using 32 bit libraries?

As always, a thank you to anyone for help.

I have found a way to work around the wifi communications problem. It is not the best solution, but, it does work. In the IDE, one only complies the sketch using the "Verify" button. One then can find the output hex file (sketch-name.cpp.hex) in the /tmp/build# directory. Window$ users can find it in "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\build#\Blink_Sample.cpp.hex" for example: C:\Documents and Settings\Lester\Local Settings\Temp\build2084784412515958663.tmp\Blink_Sample.cpp.hex

You copy the hex file to a permanent directory, my suggestion /root/ardunio/hex_files. You will have to create the directory hex_files, since it is not a normal arduino directory.

Once you have the file, one can open a browser, and connect to the Yun webserver. On the first page, at the bottom of page, there is a section to upload a hex file. Use the browse button to find the desired file and select it. Click on the upload file and it will be installed. This does work!

It should be possible to due the same with the USB interface. One needs to copy the file via the serial link to an OpenWRT directory (probably tmp). Then, one invokes the burning program to transfer the program to the second microprocessor memory. I do not know the details on this approach. Hopefully, some one could provide them. Thank you in advance for any help.

I hopes this helps someone else with the same problem with the Yun board.

Some additional information on a common problem, often one can not access the Yun board over the wifi network by using "boardname.local" and has to use the IP address. I have two Netgear routers (main and extender) in my Wifi network. They have a similar method to access the control page. I have to use the IP address to get to them. It appears the request is passed to the DNS server outside of the network and fails. I have tried the name approach and got some very strange sites that were not the router. It seems the best way is to use the IP address.

I received an Uno Starter Kit in the mail today. Arduino IDE 1.0.6 works fine on Fatdog64. I was able to upload sketches. The fun begins.

I hope this helps.

Is Avahi installed on your linux distribution?

Angelo9999, thank you for the help. No Avahi is not available on Fatdog64. But, I will do a search to see if it is available in a repository. I did a quick check and found Avahi is a network service discovery application like Bonjour. I will to see if I get it.