problems uploading on arduino uno

I just got a Arduino UNO and have had success uploading quite a few sketches. I also have a couple of extra ATMEGA328P-PU chips but get errors when trying to program them on the same board.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I've tried resetting while uploading with no help... using arduino 0021 on windows XP. I get a power led and the L led flashes slowly as soon as you plug in the usb cable... see the rx led flash some but never the tx while uploading.

Can switch back to the chip that came on it and upload fine.

thanks for your help

Search the playground for examples of burning the bootloader into the 'blank' parts, you should be able to upload sketches after that. You basically use your UNO (with original chip installed) as a programmer for the blank part.

I suspected I had bootloader issues and had found this thread very helpful...

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1286187453

I had made an error in my hookup though and had connected both resets together. After you confirmed that it was likely a bootloader issue I went back and tried again and I was getting an error msg as well advising to check my connections.

I only recently discovered Arduino's and having a blast getting up to speed on them.

Thanks for you help

Glad to hear you got it working!