Problems uploading to custom arduino

I've designed my own atmega328p based microcontroller, which is simply the circuit shown in the arduino breadboard tutorial, with a few modifications: notably, I am using 24pf capacitors on the crystal, which is 16.67MHz instead of 16. I believe I was able to burn the bootloader, as the LED I attached to pin 8 (not 13) blinks every 16 seconds. I don't know why the blink rate is 16 seconds, however. Currently, I have the rx of my arduino board, with no chip in it, connected to pin 2 of the chip, tx to pin 3, and reset to pin 1. I am trying to upload the blink sketch through the arduino board, with the arduino uno board setting, on the correct port, wtih the AVRISPmk2 programmer. I keep getting an out of sync error. Do any of you know what the problem could be? Thanks!

The chip is the microcontroller, not the board.

I am confused (or rather, I suspect you are)...

You say you are using an ISP programmer - so why do you have things connected to RX/TX, when you need to have it connected to the SPI pins, just like when you burned the bootloader?

But once you burn the bootloader, you should be able to upload over serial, with the TX/RX pins, and no ISP programmer involved.

You also mention blinking on pin 8. What do you mean blinking every 16 seconds?

If you mean it's on for 16, off for 16, Could it be that you've got the pin numbering wrong, and that's actually arduino pin 13, and you successfully uploaded blink (built for 16 mhz), but did not successfully burn bootloader, so it's still running at 1 mhz off the internal 8mhz oscillator divided by 8 (due to fuses not being set)?

I tried bootloading the chip initally, using the SPI pins. I am currently trying to upload via the method described here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard for uploading via an Arduino board. For a number of reasons, I built in an LED onto pin 8, instead of pin 13. When I uploaded the blink script, I modified it to blink on pin 8 instead of pin 13. Your explanation of running off of the built in oscillator to describe the LED blinking on/off every 16 seconds makes sense. Perhaps I need to go back to burning the bootloader?

I tried bootloading the chip initally, using the SPI pins. I am currently trying to upload via the method described here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard for uploading via an Arduino board. For a number of reasons, I built in an LED onto pin 8, instead of pin 13. When I uploaded the blink script, I modified it to blink on pin 8 instead of pin 13. Your explanation of running off of the built in oscillator to describe the LED blinking on/off every 16 seconds makes sense. Perhaps I need to go back to burning the bootloader?

Oooh, okay, that makes sense about pin8 then. Pin13 imo isn’t the best pin for the LED anyway (8 is better, except in terms of compatibility)

You have an ISP programmer - why not read out the data from the chip, and see what you’ve got on it? (I don’t know if AVRISP has a friendly GUI program to do this). Check the fuse bytes, and see where on the flash there’s code (the sketch would be at the beginning - if the bootloader is there, it would be at the end)

I'm not sure how to read information off of the chip. After another attempt at burning the bootloader, I think I've done it. The IDE says it worker properly, and my board stopper the LED flashing on pin 8. However, I can't get it to program. Can I just keep arduino pins 13 through 10 hooked up as I had them when uploading the bootloader?