problems uploading with prolific usb cable

every time i try to up load a sketch i get this message

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xff avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

i have not been able to get this cable to work on windows xp home or windows and i have tried 4 different drivers from different sites and still no go . thanx for any help

Can you clarify your setup please?

I have a RBBB that I use a modified CA-42 Nokia phone cable to do data transfer (which is based on the prolific chip). Is this a similar setup to yours?

i have a prolific 2303 chipset usb to rs 232 cable and i have a avr board with atmega 328 and i have a max serial 328 board from fundamental logic and it wont work on xp or windows 7

OK, so you bought a cable that is specifically made for USB-RS232, and not for a phone or something?

Bare in mind that these boards use TTL levels, and not RS-232 (but the MAX Serial has the MAX232 chip on it if I'm not mistaken, which converts RS232 to TTL).

Does the cable have auto reset? If not, then you need to press the reset button at the right moment.

I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't have auto-reset, and you're either not pushing the button, or not at the right time.

i have tried to reset it in many different time frames and still did not work and now i get

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xff avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff

i dont know what to do but here is my cable http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-TO-RS232-SERIAL-DB9-9-PIN-CABLE-ADAPTER-GPS-FTA_W0QQitemZ260477903612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca5b162fc

Hmmm. Have you tried pressing reset as soon as the IDE tells you it’s compiled and how big the file is? That’s what I always do and it works fine for me.

try just pressing the reset once within the first couple seconds of starting to upload

i have just tried that 4 times and still no luck

i keep 2 different errors avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xff avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xff avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

i have a prolific 2303 chipset usb to rs 232 cable

I just now caught this, the arduino uses whats known as TTL level voltages 0 or +5, rs232 uses +12v or -12v

now if you were to connect the arduino to a real serial port it would probably fry something, since this is a usb powered thing its probally not putting real voltages out there, so cooking may not be a factor but you still have to convert whatever + and - voltages to 0 or 5 volt and acutally invert the signal (+12 = 0 i think ... :-?)

or in other words I think your missing a key part of the puzzle

well i have a different pc with 2 serial ports and it programs it just fine but its slower than the 1 i am on now and i hate to have 2 pcs just so i can mess around with the arduino. but i did just get it to read some output comeing from the arduino but it still wont upload it just freezes, and the only way i get it to read what the arduino is sending is if i ground 1 of the leads on the serial connector.

edit: and as i said above i have a max serial from fundamental logic go check it out it has the max 232n ttl level converter so i am not missing anything but why it wont work

PROBLEM SOLVED after i got it to read what the arduino was sending all i had to do was reset it after it compiled and boom it worked so i guess the cable is missing a ground if anyone wants i could get a pic up of what pin to ground but thanx for all the help

cool, good to know

hello

i am having the exact same problem, can you please tell me which pin to ground...

thank you