Problems using Win 7(64 bits) OR WinXP Mode

Hello,
I have Win 7 64 bits and a Diecimila Arduino. I download arduino 0013,0017,0021 and anyone work fine for me, the interface is very slow, and I let windows choose the driver and after some minutes (because the slow responding) the interface told me error in sync expect 00X14 and receive 00x51 or something like that with the example of the Bkink.

Then I try Windows XP mode in the same computer the interface runs smoothly and fast, but the same error happen, because is XP I connect the card, then the computer choose the default driver, then I read how was supposed to do in XP and I clicked in update driver and select the driver from the folder drivers downloaded from here. THe same problem persist, Then i download the driver from the site you suggest in the GUIDE for Windows but the problem still there.

What can I do?I dont care if it work on XP mode or Win 7, but XP is faster, but maybe there the problem is with the driver.

Help me plese.

(During all those procedure I restart the machine several times to be sure the changes are made over the reg)

The exact error is:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I already changed in the interface according to my card, Diecimilla

export.application.fullscreen=false
preproc.imports.list=java.applet.,java.awt.Dimension,java.awt.Frame,java.awt.event.MouseEvent,java.awt.event.KeyEvent,java.awt.event.FocusEvent,java.awt.Image,java.io.,java.net.,java.text.,java.util.,java.util.zip.,java.util.regex.*
editor.font.macosx=Monaco,plain,10
preproc.web_colors=true
export.application.platform=true
update.check=true
default.window.width=500
update.id=6104350764750283517
editor.indent=true
serial.stopbits=1
serial.databits=8
editor.font=Monospaced,plain,12
editor.window.height.default=600
run.options.memory=false
preproc.imports=java.applet,java.awt,java.awt.image,java.awt.event,java.io,java.net,java.text,java.util,java.util.zip,java.util.regex
editor.divider.size=2
default.window.height=600
editor.caret.blink=true
preproc.color_datatype=true
export.applet.separate_jar_files=false
preproc.output_parse_tree=false
run.window.bgcolor=#ECE9D8
console.lines=4
upload.using=bootloader
console.error.file=stderr.txt
run.options.memory.maximum=256
editor.tabs.expand=true
editor.window.height.min=530
editor.keys.home_and_end_travel_far=false
board=diecimila
console=true
run.present.exclusive.macosx=true
serial.parity=N
editor.tabs.size=2
console.length=500
serial.port=COM4
run.options=
console.auto_clear=true
update.last=1288221259896
editor.window.width.min=400
run.present.exclusive=false
export.application.platform.linux=true
editor.keys.home_and_end_travel_far.macosx=true
editor.window.height.min.windows=530
run.present.bgcolor=#666666
export.application.platform.windows=true
target=arduino
run.options.memory.initial=64
apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true
editor.keys.alternative_cut_copy_paste=true
editor.window.width.default=500
console.output.file=stdout.txt
preproc.substitute_unicode=true
run.present.stop.color=#cccccc
editor.external=false
last.screen.height=554
editor.keys.shift_backspace_is_delete=true
editor.window.height.min.macosx=450
last.sketch.count=0
export.delete_target_folder=true
last.sketch0.path=
preproc.substitute_floats=true
editor.keys.alternative_cut_copy_paste.macosx=false
browser.linux=mozilla
editor.invalid=false
serial.debug_rate=9600
sketchbook.path=C:\Documents and Settings\XPMUser\My Documents\Arduino
export.application.stop=true
editor.divider.size.windows=2
preproc.enhanced_casting=true
run.display=1
platform.auto_file_type_associations=true
editor.antialias=false
preproc.save_build_files=false
last.screen.width=1008
export.application.platform.macosx=true

when i reset the arduino the led turn on and off so the bootloader is right

First, work through the stuff here... http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#toc1

already done before post this here :S any idea?

Have you performed a loop-back test?

I dont think much effort has gone into debugging the arduino I/O with windows 7, as it tends to pop up quite a bit since 7 came out, let alone 64 bit

that being said I have a machine that multi boots and one of them is 7 64 bit and works fine with my arduino (and is just as fast as one expects) , but I cant say much cause mine is connected to a "real" RS232 serial port, so it has to be a usb driver issue

I dont made a loop back test, im not pretty sure how to do it sorry because im a noob like a year ago I used arduino but then I used only this and no problems: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1221287209

Now Im paying the consequecies for not learn the first time how to do this.

(P.s. now im in another computer and with different SO so I can't use the last installe I had, and the 0013 that is in the link doesnt work either )

could you throw me some light with the loop back test?

@Osgeld, I dont have a true serial port, and mmm my software are not running so good over W7 for exampel when I click over Tools, the tools menu dont show anything for 30s then appear. In windows xp mode, all is fast but the same error happen.

I also try this in W7 http://clete2.com/2009/10/arduino-and-windows-7-problems/

but when I download JRE there is no option for 32 bits for Windows just for linux, and for windows only is one file for both.

:'(

@ loopback test, remove chip, jam wires tween socket pins 2 and 3, fire up serial monitor, anything you send should echo back on the screen

and yes if its having a driver chokeup it will delay the machine, I know it works in the simplest form with 7-64 so it almost has to be a driver issue, as I am not doing anything special except not using the usb <> serial thing :wink:

The loopback test was succesfull, i only tried over xp mode because is faster I send things, the same things return

whats a summary of your computer (video cpu etc)

also no I don't have XP mode installed right off of disk windows 7

Is dell xps m1330 laptop core 2 duo 1.86 Ghz 4gb ram integrated graphics BlueTT nothing else just an ordinary laptop but 64 bits

I used arduino before when I had Vista.

Now all this afternoon loosed because I couldn't make the card work is causing me pain :(

What is the best driver for this, and how I need to install it?

I already try the one in the package that i download, and the other of the webpage

The way I update them was in mmm computer managment I think, I choose USB Ports, select the one that appear and dissapear when I connect or disconnect the card, and then update the driver manually selecting the folder where it is, now It can't be done either because windows told me the driver I have is the most up to date.

When I reset arduino led turn on and off just one time, when I send the sketch the leds turn on a little bit, first one then the other then stop and the error happen seconds after that.

Well my interface now is fine with windows 7, I solve the incompatibility turning off the bluethoot of my computer using the device manager, but the driver for the USB port is impossible the same error still happening.

The only thing that comes to my mind, from the symptoms you've given, is that the processors do not include a bootloader.

but when I reset the led attached ti the pin 3 flash 1 time, I read that is the signature of the bootloader. I will try to borrow another arduino to see if is my computer or the chip.

Let's see if i can get another.

Well Thank you to every one who try to help me It seems the problem was the Arduino, I use other card and now works perfectly.

Thank you.