Problems using wired ethernet

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my Arduino Yun using a wired ethernet connection with a static IP, instead of with wifi, but it doesn't seem to recognize it when I go to arduino.local/

I'm brand new to Arduinos so I'm not exactly sure what to look for when setting it up, but my end goal is to be able to send commands to the static IP of the wired connection and control it, identical to the Bridge example.

I couldn't locate much literature about wired connections, so maybe someone can help point me to it?

Thanks and I appreciate any help!

It sounds like you problem is that arduino.local isn't working? Can you access the board using the IP address?

If so, the problem is likely on your computer, not the Yun. What operating system are you using? Is the computer on the same physical network, or is it on wireless or is accessing the Yun going through a router?

For your computer to be able to access the Yun using arduino.local, it needs to have a a zero configuration utility on it.

Windows does not, by default, unless you've installed iTunes or QuickTime, or installed Apple's Bonjour utility.

Linux may need to have Avahi enabled.

Macs should be able to do it natively.

The name is determined by sending out broadcasts, so if the Yun and the computer are on different networks needing a bridge or router between them, the broadcasts probably won't go through.

ShapeShifter:
For your computer to be able to access the Yun using arduino.local, it needs to have a a zero configuration utility on it.

Windows does not, by default, unless you've installed iTunes or QuickTime, or installed Apple's Bonjour utility.

+1
I am fairly certain that this is the problem here. I would always recommend to try and use the IP address, specially when you have a static IP set as mentioned in the original post.

But that this requires that both the PC and the Yun are using the same subnet on the wired connection. And in general, this is more a general networking issue rather than something "Arduino" specific...

Ralf

Thanks and I appreciate the responses. I ended up making a blunder in the advanced settings so it wasn't detecting the connection. Cheers.