Problems with Arduino Mini 04 and USB Mini 03

I've recently hooked up my Arduino Mini ver 04 and USB Mini ver 03 - and I am finding out that when I use the power from the USB it does a few bad bad things. >:(

First It wont allow any code to be pushed to my Arduino Mini - To get around this I've had to unplug the USB and reset - once I plug back in I also have to remove the jumper from the USB mini - and this mostly works, occasionally I'll need to repeat that about 2 or 3 times before the code will actually push.

If I just plug in and click the serial monitor before I upload - I get lots of random characters spit out... I can then remove the jumpers from the USB cable and it usually stops...

Second if my code uses the SPI interface - if I am powering with the USB Mini - it causes erratic behavior and random bits to be thrown out. Using the SparkFun LED Matrix works perfect on my Diecimila boards - but once on the Mini it freaks out. The only way around this is to power my Arduino Mini from the old Diecimila board insted of the USB Mini... Once I do that the SPI code works and everything is happy - except now I have a big ole Diecimila hanging off of a Mini... Not sure what is the problem? Bad USB Mini?

Help! :'(

The OUTPUT when doing an Upload.Verbose-------------------

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "D:\Ardunio Development\arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \.\COM6 Using Programmer : stk500v1 Overriding Baud Rate : 19200 avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done. Thank you.

So if you power the Mini from something besides the USB connection, you can upload fine with the Mini-USB Adapter? Can you take a picture of the setup?

image of is being powered via second Arduino board - To Transfer I have to pull off the jumper from the USB Mini - unplug and plug back in - this usually works. If I need to push code to the Arduino I have to do the same thing again.

The reason for the power from another board is that anything serial - like the SparkFun LED Matrix board gets weird bits sent if I leave it plugged in once I push the code... Thinking the MiniUSB is just not right, or having issues.

If you're powering the Mini from the regular Arduino, you should leave the jumper off of the Mini-USB all the time.

What happens if you remove the regular Arduino and put the jumper back on the Mini-USB?

if I remove the jumper and then put it back on - with just the Mini it works. For me everytime I want to push code I must A) Remove the USB from the computer and plug it back in B) Remove the Jumper and place back on the USB Mini

Then I can push code to my Arduino Mini - but only once. If I try to push code again - I get the same error and have to repeate steps A & B again. I have two Arduino Mini's and one USB Mini and I get the same problem with both of the Arduino's

You do need to reset the Mini before an upload. If you're not using a reset button, then you'll have to do this by cycling power. That might explain some of the difficultly.

You also should leave the jumper off of the Mini-USB all the time if you're using another power source.