Problems with burning the bootloader on another Chip.

Hello Guys,
Today I have bought me the Arduino UNO Board and an another Chip(ATMega328P). The another Chip has no bootloader. I look on this Website: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP . I go all step gone he standing on the website. When i connect the Pin 13(Digital Side) with the Pin 19 on the another Chip, and the Pin 12(Digital Side) with the Pin 18 on the another Chip and finally the Pin 11(Digital Side) with the another Chip on Pin 17. Pin 10(Digital Side) connect with the Reset Pin(1) on the another Chip. Between the + and - pole i have add an 10 uF capacitor. When now i connect the + pole with the 5V Pin on the Board and - pole with the GND Pin. The Power LED on the Board switch off and my Computer say the Device has been be disconnected from my Computer. I think is not right. The another Chip and the capacitor start to becomes warm. I have quickly disconnect the Power Cable from the Board.
What have I made wrong?(The Arduino IDE has the right settings. COM4 for Serial Port. The Board is the right board and the Progammer Mode is "Arduino as ISP"

Jan.

Are you sure you're numbering the pins correctly? (Can you post a photo?) It sounds like the second chip is "shorting out" power from your Arduino. One way that can happen is if the chip is wired backward.

Yes, here is an Photo from my Ciruit:
(Ignore, please the White Side on the Sides the pictures was to big to Upload)
This Step i do:

• Start Arduino
  • Open Arduino ISP
  • Set the right serial Port and Board
  • Upload the script
  • Connect the Cable(Look at the Picture)
  • Put in the electrolytic capacitor(+ pin in Reset and - pin in GND)
  • Connect the 5V and GND Cable.
  • When i press “Burn bootloader” the console give me an error and the yellow led should be shin permaently.

//EDIT!
Now, i burn the Bootloader i got this Error Code:
When i press the “Burn Bootloader” Button the TX and RX LED’s should be bink often(5-8 times) after this the Error Code would be display in the console. And the L(LED) would be shine permanently.
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.
Error while burn the bootloader.

Im using no external crystal!!!

Jan.

Can you try that again? This time use a camera instead of a potato... Or at least keep the damn thing still/use enough light...

@septillion
I have edit my post. You do think i create a video from this process?

What board did you select when you chose "Burn Bootloader"? You're not using external crystal, but almost all the included Arduino board defs use one - if you burn bootloader that expects external crystal, it will set fuses to use that. If you don't have an external crystal connected, but it's been told to use it, you've bricked it - the chip cannot be programmed (except by HVSP) until you provide an external crystal or otherwise provide a clock signal.

Also, turn on verbose upload output, that will show you exactly what it's doing and what signature it's seeing (probably 00 00 00)

Where are the decoupling caps around the chip you're programming?
You need a 0.1uf ceramic capacitor between Vcc and Gnd, and another between AVcc and Gnd. These must be located right next to the chip - as close as possible.
Is AVcc connected to Vcc? It needs to be.

Hello,
I have selected the "Arduino/Genduino Uno" and as the serial Port "COM4 Arduino/Genduino Uno)". Have i understanding right? I need an crystal to burn the bootloader? I have only 5 10uF 100V electrolytic capacitor. ACC and AVcc connected in one Cable to 5V. The Seller in electronic Shop sayed to my i don't need an Crystal the Microcontroller has an crystal(8 or 16 mhz im not sure) inside the chip, and he said i can change the Type witch Crystal i use. The External(On the UNO Board) or Inside the Chip. "Because no external clock source is connected, the ATmega must be configured to use its internal clock." from the ArduinoISP Tutorial Side. Where can change to the internal clock?

//EDIT 19:18 UTC
With this Tutorial(https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard) I have Eliminating the External Clock. Now when i try to burn the bootloader i got this error message:
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.
Jan

To use the Arduino bootloader you need the external clock. When burning the bootloader the chip IS switched (fuses changed) to use the external clock source.

But the photo is still very very very hard to see. Can't you just use a breadboard?

But the powering going out indicates a short circuit. It's probably in you wiring (can't see on the image) or you soldering skills...

In my Country dignity sayed "In German/Auf Deutsch" i need an external Clock. Okay no Problem. tomorrow i drive with my Mother to the Electronic Shop and buy an crystal. On Which Frequcency 8 Mhz or 16 Mhz or higher? I need two capacitor 22 PF(No Electroly)?
When i use an external Crystal the Problem with "Invaild device ..." should be fixed?

Jan.

Get 1 of each speed so you can experiment, and four of 22pF ceramic caps, they only need to be rated for low voltage (like 50V). Little one like this
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/C1K22-50
(four, so you have two spares)

Hello CrossRoads!
Thank you for the Information. Can you say me about the Frequcency for the Crystal i needed?

The seller was correct in stating that you do not need a crystal; it can be set to use the internal 8mhz RC oscillator - but you need a board definition that sets the fuses to use the internal RC oscillator, not an external crystal. You burned bootloader with a board definition that sets the fuses to use an external crystal.

If you attempt to burn bootloader with a board definition selected which sets the fuses to use a crystal, you brick the chip - it can't be programmed, signature reads as 000000, and you can't revive it without a crystal (or another clock source - I've seen modified arduinoasisp sketches that output an 8mhz squarewave on one pin - connecting that to the appropriate crystal pin (I forget which one) will let you reprogram a chip so you can set it to use the internal RC after having set it to use a crystal that isn't present). I think this is what's happened to you.

In any case, you probably do want to use a crystal - the internal oscillator is not very accurate - enough such that serial may not work when running on the internal RC oscillator.

The invalid device error will probably be fixed with a crystal connected, and you could then set it to not use the crystal. But you can also get that error from a wiring error - you haven't even posted the verbose output like I asked for - if the signature isn't reading 00 00 00, it's a wiring error, not what I described above.

At the electronics store, you should also grab:

10k resistor, at least 1 (for the reset pin - you don't need it yet, but you'll probably want this soon)

0.1uf ceramic capacitors, at least 2. You probably want more than 2 though - you'll go through lots of these (I think I used almost 500 of them last year). I use more of these than any other component - probably by a factor of 2 or 3. You must have decoupling capacitors. Some tutorials omit these, but the chip will not function reliably without them!

8 MHz, 16 MHz, such as
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/XC6-80000
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/XC7-16000

Hello DrAzzy.
In Short: I needs absolute not an external Cystral. When i configuration the Chip correct it should work. Default the Board use the (16Mhz?) Cystal. Okay, an external Cystral cannot damage for me. When i understand right i need to buy in electronic store following items:

• 1 resistor 10K ( From + line to the reset Pin(1)?"
  • 2 Capiator 22pF(For the Crystal)
  • 1 Crystal 8 or 16 Mhz(I think i buy the 16 Mhz coast only 0.32 Euro for 1)
  • 1 ElectrolyCapiator 10uF(bridge from reset to Ground)
  • One Breadboard and Wires.

Its is all right?
When i burn the bootloader i need to use the ICSP Connector? Or "normal" way over the Pin 13,12,11 and 10?
Jan

xJan45x:
Hello DrAzzy.
In Short: I needs absolute not an external Cystral. When i configuration the Chip correct it should work. Default the Board use the (16Mhz?) Cystal. Okay, an external Cystral cannot damage for me. When i understand right i need to buy in electronic store following items:

• 1 resistor 10K ( From + line to the reset Pin(1)?"
  • 2 Capiator 22pF(For the Crystal)
  • 1 Crystal 8 or 16 Mhz(I think i buy the 16 Mhz coast only 0.32 Euro for 1)
  • 1 ElectrolyCapiator 10uF(bridge from reset to Ground)
  • One Breadboard and Wires.

Its is all right?
When i burn the bootloader i need to use the ICSP Connector? Or "normal" way over the Pin 13,12,11 and 10?
Jan

"Crystal", "Capacitor"
Also, you need:

• 2 0.1uf ceramic capacitors. (not electrolytic).
    You need a 0.1uf cap between Vcc and Gnd right next to the chip, and another 0.1uf cap between AVcc and Gnd, also right next to the chip. These are important - get extras.

You'll need a third 0.1uf cap if you want to make your Arduino-on-breadboard work like a normal arduino (programmable over serial with autoreset) - and just about every electronics project imaginable requires at least one 0.1uf ceramic capacitor, often many.

The ICSP header is the for programming the chip on the board, so it is connected to 13/12/11/RST of that chip - you don't use it when using that board as the programmer to program another chip.

My English is not the best, sorry for that. Okay i think i understand all. One Capacitor between Vcc and Gnd and on the other Side between Avcc and Gnd. And two Capacitor 22 pF for the Crystal.

Thanks.

Hello Again,
Today i bought an 16 mhz crystal and two 18 pf capactor. Build the Crucit on a Breadboard and try to burn the bootloader. Now its working. With an 16 Mhz External Crystal.

Thank you to all.

Congratulations on your success!