Problems with my Arduino Yún

Hello all,

I'm a beginner in the Arduino world, and after playing with an Arduino Uno board, couple of months ago i bought an Arduino Yún board, but i never got the time to use it, until now. I have tried to test some sketches (like the Bridge example) but i'm unable to make it work.

I have updated the firmware, with no success, but i noticed some strange in the kernel log. It has this line repeating over and over again:

"[ 110.290000] hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition"

Did i burned my Yún without noticing it?

Diegokun:
Hello all,

I’m a beginner in the Arduino world, and after playing with an Arduino Uno board, couple of months ago i bought an Arduino Yún board, but i never got the time to use it, until now. I have tried to test some sketches (like the Bridge example) but i’m unable to make it work.

I have updated the firmware, with no success, but i noticed some strange in the kernel log. It has this line repeating over and over again:

“[ 110.290000] hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition”

Did i burned my Yún without noticing it?

@Diegokun,
did you plug your Yun in to your laptop or are you using a wall wart (aka power plug)?
If you’ve plugged your Yun into your laptop or desktop you should be okay.
Your wall wart should be similar to your smart phone power plug.

Jesse

Do you have anything plugged into the USB host port? (The large one on the corner.)

My Yún is connected to my laptop usb port, and doesn't have anything plugged to the hub port.

I found another strange thing, this time in the system log. This line is repeating too.

May 23 14:27:40 Arduino user.info sysinit: ls: /sys/bus/scsi/drivers/sd//block/sd?: No such file or directory
May 23 14:27:40 Arduino kern.err kernel: [ 253.180000] hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition
May 23 14:27:41 Arduino kern.err kernel: [ 253.960000] hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition
May 23 14:27:42 Arduino kern.err kernel: [ 254.740000] hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition
May 23 14:27:42 Arduino user.info sysinit: ls: /sys/bus/scsi/drivers/sd/
/block/sd?: No such file or directory
May 23 14:27:43 Arduino kern.err kernel: [ 255.760000] hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition
May 23 14:27:43 Arduino kern.err kernel: [ 256.540000] hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition

@ShapeShifter, I'm thinking RMA, because it looks like the Host USB is getting some wierd signal (perhaps something jammed in the port). But I don't know electronics that well. - Jesse

I tend to agree. The only other thing I can think of (because of the SD messages) is a bad SD card. I believe the SD card controller chip is actually hung off of the USB bus. It's a stretch, but how does it boot without an SD card inserted?

ShapeShifter:
I tend to agree. The only other thing I can think of (because of the SD messages) is a bad SD card. I believe the SD card controller chip is actually hung off of the USB bus. It's a stretch, but how does it boot without an SD card inserted?

@ShapeShifter, yeah. It could be something in SD card holder. That makes sense.

For booting, it always boots of the ROM portion of the system, then about 10-12 seconds in, it switched to the ext_root. For booting purposes, any changes made to the booting scripts are in /etc. Any other "boot" sequence stuff is in the "pre-init"

See Notes: Power-on thru Init
http://codesnippets.altervista.org/documentation/yun/power_on/power_on.html
note: corrected typo, initiation in first line

Jesse