Problems with preamp

Hi

http://interface.khm.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/preamp.gif

I have built the above preamp on the left to use with the freq counter library but I seem to get no amplification.

Looking with a scope the circuit works and when I put a 1khz signal on the input I see a 1khz signal on the output, If i remove the power the output drops off so it seems to be working.

However I see no change in amplitude I assumed that is what is meant to happen ?

Also crude I know but for a test I just connected a speaker to the input and then the output and both sounded the same.

You will have to excuse my ignorance and I havenever delved in to any signal amplification before.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

and when I put a 1khz signal on the input I see a 1khz signal on the output,

What shape is this signal? I assume it is square. The maximum amplitude output of this amplifier is 5V, if you put in a 5V input signal then you will see no amplification. Cut down the input to 1V and you will probably still see a 5V output.

I just tried putting in a smaller signal and still no gain it is a exact mimic of the input.

Also I have tried it with a sine and square wave

Then I don't think you have it wired up as you think it is or the transistor is bust.