Processing application upon start restarts Arduino sketch

For some reason, whenever I start a basically empty Processing application, the sketch on my Arduino restarts. This is all the code I have.

import processing.serial.*;
Serial port;

void setup() {
  size(256, 150);

port = new Serial(this, "COM3", 9600);  
}

void draw()
{

}

Is there any way to make it so that Processing doesn't restart my Arduino sketch? I don't see a reason why it would restart it without me explicitly telling it to.

Thanks!

Is there any way to make it so that Processing doesn't restart my Arduino sketch? I don't see a reason why it would restart it without me explicitly telling it to.

But, you did:

port = new Serial(this, "COM3", 9600);

Opening the serial port resets the Arduino.

There are ways to workaround this. I'd post a link, but the new forum layout just annoys me too damned much. All the f**king scrolling required is killing me.

If you get the chance, could you post the link? It would be quite useful.

By the way, I’m from Renton. :slight_smile: Nice to see locals here.

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection

Thanks. All those are overkill for what I want to do, so I guess I’ll just have to deal with it.

All those are overkill for what I want to do

Temporarily adding a resistor is overkill? Well, OK, then. I guess you'll just have to live with it.

Considering I need the 5v for something else, yes, it is.

Considering I need the 5v for something else, yes, it is.

Are you under the impression that you can only connect one thing to the 5V pin?

If there's a resistor/capacitor in it, yes.

If there's a resistor/capacitor in it, yes.

While physically it will be challenging to push two things into the same physical location, you can connect more than one thing to the 5V pin at a time. Jumper wires to a breadboard are one solution.

Could I use a jumper wire to a breadboard, then the resistor/capacitor to reset? Would that work? I honestly don't know.

Could I use a jumper wire to a breadboard, then the resistor/capacitor to reset? Would that work? I honestly don't know.

Yes.

Well in that case I could do that. But until the sketch is feature-complete it would be annoying having to either remove it every time I uploaded it, or tried to time the reset button and uploading.

Well in that case I could do that. But until the sketch is feature-complete it would be annoying having to either remove it every time I uploaded it, or tried to time the reset button and uploading.

5V --> breadboard --> switch --> resistor --> reset

Flip the switch to enable or disable auto-reset.

Fair enough. :P In my defense it's almost 6 in the morning and I don't think straight this time of night. :D