Producing an archivable hex file ...

It would be great ( let me know if this already exists ) if we could make a hex file and save it once the sketch is compiled. It would also be great if we could upload the saved hex files directly to the chip ...

Going forward we will have an increasing number of projects that become embedded into systems, and currently the only way to re upload a sketch would be to reload the original sketch, recompile and upload. Lets says for example I built an application such as a thermostat the relied on certain libraries that are no longer supported ... or have been modified and are not compatible with a new ide release etc etc ... currently the code that is in non-agreement would have to be rewritten to remove the offending parts, and every ide update would have to be configured properly to support some of the code ... Now lets say the kids break the thermostat or a voltage spike takes out some chips, or a power problem, or maybe I want another one now... now support gets tricky ... if you had the hex you could just load it, the hex support would work with every ide release going forward ... :-)

This mod could be done with current setups and minimal hassle, any takers?

You can - it’s located in the temp directory the Arduino IDE creates when you compile/upload. You can then re-upload it directly using avrdude…

It would be nice to have this built into the ide … :slight_smile: as its not the most user friendly process to undertake …