product display unit

hi guys;
i am working on a project which is product display unit in stores.
its consist of an tft screen, arduino and a raspberry pi for video display.
the products to be displayed will be place on the unit and when someone removes the product, product information will be displayed on the tft display.
now i need a some kind of identification for the project (like rfid) so that the arduino know which product is removed.
so guys how to go about this project.

bar code reader?

What's wrong with RFID?

Would it be practial to have the items sitting on micro-switches or optical detectors so they alert the Arduino when they are lifted?

...R

@robin2, sir some identification is need for arduino to know which product it is when the product A is kept at B spot(misplaced).

shramik: some identification is need for arduino to know which product it is when the product A is kept at B spot(misplaced).

I suspected that might be a problem.

What about using a camera and image identifying software? - but you won't do that on an Arduino.

...R

You could place the products on a round platform, turn it and show the video for the product in front.

DrDiettrich: You could place the products on a round platform, turn it and show the video for the product in front.

thank you for the idea for round platform but my display unit is stationary cant be moved and the customers can pick the product up.

Robin2: What about using a camera and image identifying software? - but you won't do that on an Arduino.

sir, for that i will have to use camera for each product?.sir i am not familiar with image processing and that will be expensive sir sir, can i do by placing a rfid reader below each product and tag each product. so for 4 product, i will have 4 tag and whenever the product is removed the arduino knows which product is removed and send this information to raspberry pi to display the product information. sir, can this work?

shramik:
sir, can this work???

In case that question about the RFID idea is addressed to me, I’m afraid I don’t know. I have no experience with RFID.

I presume the objects would have to be moved far enough that they would be out of range of the reader - and I don’t know how far that is.

…R

@robin2. thank you sir. next thing for the display lcd. is there any other way to connect a lcd without using a raspberry pi.

shramik:
is there any other way to connect a lcd without using a raspberry pi.

Google “Arduino LCD display”

Don’t expect people to re-write answers specially for you.

Asking for an explanation of something specific that you don’t understand is OK.

…R

Video display is not possible with (8 bit) Arduinos. A more powerful CPU and more RAM is required, as provided by e.g. a RasPi.

Robin2: . In case that question about the RFID idea is addressed to me, I'm afraid I don't know. I have no experience with RFID.

I presume the objects would have to be moved far enough that they would be out of range of the reader - and I don't know how far that is.

...R

if every slot/station has a RFID reader, then any product would read. the software does not care if the soap is in the slot normally used for shampoo, but it would know there is something in the slot.

also, not knowing the size of the product, you could use a few readers to see all the product and know how many of each are in stock.

dave-in-nj: the software does not care if the soap is in the slot normally used for shampoo, but it would know there is something in the slot.

I have been assuming that the OP's plan is for the software to associate different RFID tags with different products, regardless of which location the product occupies. And I am guessing that what he really wants to discover is that product X is no longer registering (because the customer has picked it up) and then he can start the marketing spiel for product X.

It seems the reverse of the normal usage of RFID, but I see nothing wrong with the concept if the physics works in practice.

...R