Product Prototyping using Arduino

Hi guys, I am new to arduino .My queries are :

1. To what extent Arduino is used for prototyping of actual products ?
  2. What are the steps to go from Arduino prototype to a commercial product .

Please elaborate with the help of an example or two.

Regards, TK

thinly disguised homework question?

Lots of people start with Arduino to get something working. Then they have someone like me take the Atmega and the external hardware they've got working and create a custom board with things like different or better connectors, remove unused functionality, board size to fit a specific enclosure, etc.

tkbhar: Hi guys, I am new to arduino .My queries are :

1. To what extent Arduino is used for prototyping of actual products ?
  2. What are the steps to go from Arduino prototype to a commercial product .

Please elaborate with the help of an example or two.

Regards, TK

1) Not even sure there are great statistics for this. Its mostly a hobbyist tool, and I believe most industries would scoff at it as a basis for design beyond prototyping, though I feel it has some useful aspects, but not for a commercial product, unless it is something cheap and trivial. We have debated using it as part of a design in the office, but it would not be a critical component, but more in place of an optional peripheral.

2) Same steps you would do to bring any prototype to a commercial product. Most of these I've heard about are hobbyists who came up with something neat, and are now trying to sell it. There are a few additional legal requirements because it is Open Source. Look here for requirements: http://www.oshwa.org/definition/

tkbhar: 1. To what extent Arduino is used for prototyping of actual products ?

Almost never, I suspect. Arduino is aimed at the novice hobby market, and the proportion of commercial products that are developed by novice hobbyists is pretty small.