Production control uses for Arduinos?

Hello, thank you for reading this thread.

Me and my wife have a few small family business and I often advise her for the implementation of new systems.

I would be interested in testing Arduino based control systems aiming to make our business more profitable.

Let's take 3 examples of actual business we have and Control System I thought could be possible with Arduinos, your opinion and suggestions for new systems are what I seek:

Spa
-Employee attendance control through GSM
-Membership card system
-Product scanning
-Time efficiency

Food production kitchen
-Employee attendance control through GSM
-Others?

Trading business
-PO/Invoice control
-Others?

Thank you for your valuable ideas. Please don't be shy to suggest or to discourage if this is a bad idea.
Regards

Arduino is intended to be a "nice" little low cost fully programable microcontroller for hobby, beginner, educational, and early demonstration purposes of computer controlled electromechanical devices.
Artistic creativity is also encouraged.

Commercial cost reduction is not.
Arduino is absolutely NOT for commercial patent-busting demonstration of the various functions for which more expensive commercial controllers already exist. It is also NOT for military equipment including various smart bombs and killer robot proposals which we see from time to time.

That is, if a school project wanted to demo a barcode reader and multi employee multi door single site time in time out recorder, arduino could do that, but if a commercial manager wanted to spend less to roll out many, he should buy an existing system for that.

Arduino is absolutely NOT for commercial patent-busting demonstration of the various functions for which more expensive commercial controllers already exist.

This is nonsense. If some company develops a product based on a PC, and charges an arm and a leg for it, anyone, using any other means, is free to try to develop a lower cost solution. That CAN involve an Arduino.

I saw nothing in OP's post about wanting to violate anyone's patent rights, so I see nothing relevant in your diatribe about patent-busting.

The idea is to experiment and brainstorm systems. Working on systems is working on your business. Once you have something worthwhile, a higher end solution might be worth.

ad2049q:
It is also NOT for military equipment including various smart bombs and killer robot proposals which we see from time to time.

Dam.....! :smiling_imp:

arduihome21:
Thank you for your valuable ideas. Please don't be shy to suggest or to discourage if this is a bad idea.

I think if I was considering those projects I would just use a PC or laptop. They all seem to be connected with data management which is much easier with a hard-disk, virtually unlimited memory and the sort of programs (such as MySQL or SQLIte) that are available on PCs.

Plus, the PC comes with a keyboard and screen as standard.

...R

You have to get out of the trap that so many newbies fall into of thinking that Arduino is the only thing. Learning to code on Arduino is great but it opens the doors to programming on any other chip or even a PC. I've seen way too many projects where someone spends tons of time and effort trying to make Arduino do something that was meant for a PC just for the sake of "doing it with Arduino".

I'm not for using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. But you shouldn't use a feather duster either. Use the appropriate tool for the job. Don't bend the job to fit the tool.

My idea was to start brainstorming about it then find ways to implement systems with sensors. You are absolutely right about PC applications. They are far more easy and accessible.

I will think about this some more...
Thank you for your help

Regards