PROGMEM 2-Dimensional Array of Character Arrays

My first approach to solving my problem was to try to make a dictionary/hash table, but I was told that was a bad idea. I was sent to this link: PROGMEM - Arduino Reference. Now my problem right now is that I am making a menu system using a touchscreen. I need each of the buttons to be available in different languages, so there is a memory location that stores the current language, 0 - english, 1 - spanish, 2 - french. When I turn on the system, it reads this value into a char/byte variable called lang.

I want my code to work thusly: (where LANG_SOUND is a constant value 7)

const char* dictionary[3][8] PROGMEM = {
	{"Account", "Date and Time", "Idle", "Language", "Main Menu", "Prescription", "Settings", "Sound"},
	{"Cuenta", "Fecha y Hora", "Espera", "Idioma", "Menú Principal", "Receta", "Configuración", "Sonido"},
	{"Compte", "Date et heure", "Idle", "Langue", "Main Menu", "prescription", "Paramètres", "Son"}
};

strcpy_P(buffer, (char*) pgm_read_word (&(dictionary[lang][LANG_SOUND])));	
screen.print(buffer, CENTER, 23);

The link I mentioned above creates the dictionary a little differently. My problem right now is that code is not working above. It may be that the 8 is not for 8 string elements but as 8 maximum characters per string, I'm unsure if I've screwed up my pointers a little.

So, what is the problem above, and how do I fix it? Moreover, must I create the dictionary/string_table the way shown in the link, or can I do it as I have done it above? (The way I have done it above seems easier for me since I will end up having about 40 menu screens and tons of text.)

Thanks!

My problem right now is that code is not working above.

My problem is that you have not described what the code is doing, or what you expect it to do, or how those two are different.

It may be that the 8 is not for 8 string elements but as 8 maximum characters per string

The 8 is the number of elements in that dimension. Since the elements are pointers, the pointer can point to any number of characters.

In order to help it will be necessary to see your whole program.