PROGMEM. any way to skip uploading data?

I have a program which uses a lot of table data which does not change when i am working on my code. i assume the data is still in the memory when i upload my sketch.

is there a way to comment out the data but have the IDE ignore the fact it is missing from the code?

this would save a lot of time updating the sketch, and maybe save wear and tear on the flash memory.

thanks!

You could put the data in EEPROM.

there is not really enough space in EEPROM though, if it was only 4k i probably wouldnt mind waiting for it to download.

Hi,

I have a program which uses a lot of table data which does not change when i am working on my code. i assume the data is still in the memory when i upload my sketch.

No, the chip is erased before uploading the sketch. Only the bootloader-code is protected.

is there a way to comment out the data but have the IDE ignore the fact it is missing from the code?

No

this would save a lot of time updating the sketch, and maybe save wear and tear on the flash memory.

The flash memory is good for a few thousend uploads, no need to worry about this.

Eberhard

No, the chip is erased before uploading the sketch ...

Actually not, the bootloader will do page erase rather than chip erase so in theory it would be possible to do something along the lines "DeFex" requests. This is however not trivial and certainly not supported through the Arduino environment.

If you're concerned with upload speed - I woud get an external programmer. They use a higher upload speed (115200 baud) and will also allow you to tune/minimize the flash write delays towards improved performance. The difference in upload speed is significant.

The flash memory is good for a few thousand uploads

The datasheet says ten thousand and this is probably a conservative figure.