program connection?

hey guys i have an arcade machine control panel that i can rig up to an Arduino. it just uses simple buttons to tell digital pins high or low. how would i get a program on my computer ( i think processing would be my best chance ) to recive serial data and then output it as a key on the keyboard eg if it recives the code "UP1" it would press the up key on my keyboard?

I think Gobetwino does that sort of thing...

http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html

how would i get a program on my computer ( i think processing would be my best chance ) to recive serial data and then output it as a key on the keyboard eg if it recives the code "UP1" it would press the up key on my keyboard?

Pressing random keys isn't going to accomplish much. Some application needs to have focus when the key is pressed.

Perhaps you pught to explain what you want to have happen on the PC when the UP key is pressed. Not that my keyboard has an up key, mind you, so this is all hypothetical. (It does have an up arrow key).

its for me to play games on it when i press up i would have my char rector jump

Update - im not worried about this now

GoBetwino makes sure the correct program has focus when "keypresses" are sent. Just lok at the Excel sample code.

It's just not working at brake neck speeds because it's send over serial and needs to be decoded before being sent to the recieving Windows app.

But hey, it's free give it a shot and report your results :-)