Program won't upload when programming a Pro Mini with a Duemilanove

I connected the wires as such.
GND to GND
3V3 to VCC
RST to GRN
TX1 to RX1
RX0 to TX0

When i try to upload code, i get the message “avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding” i can get the reset button on the duemilanove to reset the pro mini, but the board doesnt seem to reset when i go to upload my program. as you can see, i soldered the pins to the board, and checked my soldering for continuity on all the pins with a multimeter. what am i doing wrong?

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

To clarify this is a 3V3 Mini Pro? If so have you set the board correctly in the interface (to Pro Mini 3v3 8MHz)?

If the TX line is being driven at 5V levels perhaps you should link the 5V from the Arduino to the Vcc on the Mini (though I'm not sure this is safe for the Mini's on-board regulator...)

yes, it is indeed a 3V3 mini, and the board has been set as such. but i dont want to connect the 5v to the VCC, i dont want to risk blowing the board in the case that i have to return it. and i multimetered the TX line, and its being driven at 3.8 volts. EDIT: also, when i try to upload a program, the green light on the mini flashes, then the upload fails, and the green light flashes again, if that means anything to you.

(deleted)

Thank you for your response. after i first posted, i got the board to reset upon hitting upload, but the program still returns the same error. I suspect it may be a faulty board, as i have checked my wires, my soldering connections, and my breadboard, ive tried both serial inputs, i made sure the program was set to 3V3 Pro Mini AT Mega 168, and the green light blinks when i hit upload, and when the upload fails. im not really sure what else to try. Luckily, i purchased the board through amazon, so i shouldnt have too much trouble getting my money back. Im open to suggestions, as this is the first arduino i've programmed in this manner and there is a lot of places i could have screwed up.

(deleted)

i tried swapping the tx and rx. no luck. i think im going to return it. if there is an issue, its over my head. thank you for your help though!

(deleted)

Just tried that. Still nothing. Any other suggestions? i appreciate all your help.

(deleted)

yep im programming it with a duemilanove (chip removed) and it works fine when it has the chip plugged in so i think its the mini. i guess its going back then. thanks for all your help.

Basically, customer service is intent on making this as huge of a pain in the ass as possible, so here's some extra information in case it means anything to you guys. I tried this on a windows computer, and it returned the dreaded "not in sync" error. also, i noticed that when i try to upload on my mac, the rx led on the duemilanove flashes, but the tx doesnt.

(deleted)

Will do, thanks very much. I really appreciate all your help and patience.

Yes, try reply #12. In one method of BIT-banging a bootloader in I think you will have to install a few pins so you can hook up some more wires I think from 4 pins labelled X3 next to the FTDI chip on the Duemilanove to what are the ICSP pins on the Promini: +5, GND, Reset, D11, D12, D13.

I have a couple of dead prominis that I want to replace the atmega chip on and try this myself - keep plugging away so I can learn from your trevails!