Program works on one system with Arduino 1.6.5 - doesn't on another

I am trying to work on the NodeMcu. I use it to ping a cloud server to get data. While I use the same code on my home PC, the response times are much faster (~300-400 ms), while at work, it is close to ~5 s. I use the same hotspot for the internet etc.

One thing I observe is that the uploading parameters in the Arduino IDE I have at home is different from the IDE at work, even though they are the same version. (1.6.5). I think it is because of it being different revisions (?!). I downloaded the IDE at work from the Arduino website. The IDE I have at my home PC was installed a few years ago. ANy possible way I can get the older revisions from the Arduino website or elsewhere? I think the 1.6.5 version available right now is the r5 version (last update of the series).

abhir24:
One thing I observe is that the uploading parameters in the Arduino IDE I have at home is different from the IDE at work, even though they are the same version. (1.6.5). I think it is because of it being different revisions (?!).

Upload parameters will be determined by the ESP8266 Core for Arduino version you have installed, not the IDE version. You can check which ESP8266 Core version you have at Tools > Board > Boards Manager.

abhir24:
ANy possible way I can get the older revisions from the Arduino website or elsewhere? I think the 1.6.5 version available right now is the r5 version (last update of the series).

Although not listed on the downloads page, compiled builds of the Arduino IDE 1.6.5 and 1.6.5-r4 are available in addition to 1.6.5-r5 (you’re correct that the download links point to 1.6.5-r5). You only need to modify the URL. For 1.6.5-r2 and 1.6.5-r3 you’d need to checkout that tag of the arduino/Arduino repository and then build from source, following these instructions:

Again, I’m skeptical that the IDE version is the source of the difference.

Thanks, @pert for the response. It wasn't the IDE version. I had to change the version of the board in the boards' manager. It works well now as it worked on the home laptop.

I'm glad to hear you got it working with the modern IDE version. Enjoy!
Per