programing arduino pro mini without FTDI

well the title says it all. How would i go about programing the Arduino pro mini without a FTDI cable.

I have an arduino mega 1280 at my disposal.

thank you.

I think I would have chosen an Nano. It is about the same price and comes with USB to serial on-board. However, that is not your question.

I don't think you can disconnect the TTL serial from the processor on your mega1280. If you had an Uno, Duemilanove, Diecimila, or similar, you could remove the chip and have access to the TTL serial data.

If I were you, I would get myself one of the USB to TTL boards off ebay. Search for "USB CP2102", they are the cheapest. Make sure that the unit you get has a DTR line. You will need this for your reset. Some people do a manual reset but that is a pain and it is so easy not to need to do that.

You can get a compatible board for under $3 US. Check the board carefully. Do not be fooled by a RST line. This is NOT the same as DTR. This is an input to reset the CP2102 not an output to reset you Arduino. That one fooled me at first.

Once you have the serial lines connect, it is a simple matter to download a sketch from the Arduino IDE.

jchalo99:
well the title says it all. How would i go about programing the Arduino pro mini without a FTDI cable.

I have an arduino mega 1280 at my disposal.

You could hook the Mega up using the AVR as ISP method.

You would have to choose the correct pins on the Mega (they aren't the ones listed for the smaller boards) - in particular you need the correct pins for MISO/MOSI/SCK like this:

Do you have the 5V or 3.3V model? If you have the 3.3V model it might be more challenging, because you would need to do signal level conversions.

I seem to recall there was a thread about using the Mega to do to AVRISP technique recently.

This thread discusses programming an ATtiny with a Mega:

There is a bit of discussion there about pins etc.

The Uno/Duemilanova is a more convenient host to program with since you can remove the ATmega chip from it and then common up the reset, RX and TX pins with the target board - the FTDI or 8u2 on the host board talks to the target (pro mini) and standard Arduino downloading works (if you choose the board option as the target board).

Mega boards have to be used as "Arduino as ISP" because the microcontroller cannot be disconnected being SMT.

ok, not the news i wanted to hear but thank everyone. so using the arduino as ISP, i know how to upload the bootloader, but how would i upload code?

ill proboly end up doing this untill i get the adapter. i feel it is going to be in use alot more than i first thought, so i am going to order one.