Programmable Led strips to make something?

Hello i was wondering something this is a programming problem. But i was wondering if putting together a bunch of Programmable led strips together to display like images would be possible using a arduino? I know they have special programmers for this kind of thing but What i would like to do is store images from a Sd card on my arduino and have it display using Like a Mega or Due i even have a Zero pro board?

What sort of resolution are you aiming for ? A matrix of say 8 by 8 LEDs would be feasible but the images would be limited to say the least.

Maybe use a Teensy and get something like this

Hello Heli a 8x8 pixel i did in the past with a 8x8 rgb matrix. But this time i would like to expland with something different i bought some ws2812 programmable led strips they was cheap about 5 dollars each from a guy on ebay that was closing his store down. so i was looking at some stuff on youtube and google i see some people actually making some to display videos but i wanted to do like pictures on mine they had some special box that made it work i didn't see nothing but one guy did it for arduino and he only talked about it no pictures or explain how it works.

Thank you Riva I'm looking at it now. i don't have a Teensy not sure what's the difference between that and the uno boards i have now. I also looked at the link and wow awesome thank you. Help me out a lot.

josephchrzempiec: Thank you Riva I'm looking at it now. i don't have a Teensy not sure what's the difference between that and the uno boards i have now. I also looked at the link and wow awesome thank you. Help me out a lot.

For still images you could probably get away with using a standard Arduino, I think the main reason for using the Teensy is it's speed and the DMA channels.