programmer is not responding error

hi i am programming a ATtiny 85 for a POV project. I have installed ATtiny support in Arduino 1.6.4 but while uploading the code i get an error as below.

"
avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 14 2015 at 16:30:25
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “/Users/Anand/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf”
User configuration file is “/Users/Anand/.avrduderc”
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/cu.usbmodem1421
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 19200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.
"
Please help…

Bootloader?

Hi Mark thanks for your reply, i tried that too and this also had an error. below i have pasted the error. please help me.
"

/Users/Anand/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Users/Anand/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pattiny85 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbmodem1421 -b19200 -e -Uefuse:w:0xff:m -Uhfuse:w:0xdf:m -Ulfuse:w:0x62:m

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 14 2015 at 16:30:25
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “/Users/Anand/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf”
User configuration file is “/Users/Anand/.avrduderc”
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/cu.usbmodem1421
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

"

Somebody please help??

I only get those errors when I am configured for the wrong Arduino type/serial port on my PC. Check those settings in the Arduino IDE.

I have only two serial ports in my mac and i tried in both but still the same error. Also tried with windows and faced the some issue.

how to check whether my arduino is not a faulty one ??

What in system programmer are you using to program it? Be sure that you have selected the correct programmer from the tools -> programmer menu. If it's one of the ones that communicates over serial port (like ArduinoAsISP), be sure to select that serial port.

System wide configuration file is "/Users/Anand/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" User configuration file is "/Users/Anand/.avrduderc" User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

is this normal ?

@DrAzzy I am using the Arduino as ISP as the programmer for Attiny85 with the correct serial port, i have attached the serial port you may want to have a look at the attached snapshot.

@michinyon

I dont have any idea whether its normal, I am from Mechanical background, trying to learn programming too. May be DrAzzy be able to answer the question.

AnandRaju: I have only two serial ports in my mac and i tried in both but still the same error. Also tried with windows and faced the some issue.

From what I remember, the Arduino is its own serial port. When you plug it in, a new serial port is added to your PC, and that is the serial port you need to choose in your IDE. Maybe it depends on the arduino model. I may be wrong since my Arduino is not here, but that's how I vaguely remember it.

arduinodlb: From what I remember, the Arduino is its own serial port. When you plug it in, a new serial port is added to your PC, and that is the serial port you need to choose in your IDE. Maybe it depends on the arduino model. I may be wrong since my Arduino is not here, but that's how I vaguely remember it.

I think my port is correct as i am trying to upload the blink program its uploading fine.

I think it has something to do with ATtiny microcontroller, i am using to program as i tried to flash the same in to the arduino without attiny i was able to upload successfully. But when i am connecting to Attiny and trying to flash, in case which i am getting the above mentioned errors.

Connect a 1 uf capacitor between reset and ground on the Arduino running the ArduinoAsISP sketch. The autoreset can screw it up when using it as programmer, and a cap like that is the most convenient way to temporarily clobber autoreset.

Programmer is not responding in that case means that it's having trouble communicating with the Arduino running ArduinoAsISP (you get a different but similar looking error if there's something wrong with the target) - I've had that happen when I've accidentally overwritten ArduinoAsISP, or it can happen if the board is resetting when the serial comunication opens due to autoreset.

Also, make sure you have a 0.1uf cap between Vcc and Ground pins of the ATTiny as close to the chip as practical, otherwise you'll have other problems programming it

@DrDzzy Thank you very very much, i was able to upload this time.

Hello last week i have program successfuly attiny 85 using uno but today when IDE got updated to 1.6.12 it am getting this message when i burn the code into Attiny85

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

What to do ?.I am in trouble now.I have install aatiny 1.0.2 library file form this link https://raw.githubusercontent.com/damellis/attiny/ide-1.6.x-boards-manager/package_damellis_attiny_index.json

Hello last week i have program successfuly attiny 85 using uno but today when IDE got updated to 1.6.12 it am getting this message when i burn the code into Attiny85

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

What to do ?.I am in trouble now.I have install aatiny 1.0.2 library file form this link https://raw.githubusercontent.com/damellis/attiny/ide-1.6.x-boards-manager/package_damellis_attiny_index.json

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes. Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes. avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf2 Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Hi, Use the previous IDE then, upgrading to the latest IDE has its dangers, such as not all features having been tested.

Go back to the version that worked for you and stay with it.

Tom..... :)