Programmer is not responding

Hello,

I've been using my Arduino Duemilanove 328 happily for a few weeks now. When I knocked off last night it was working just fine.

This morning, when I powered it up (via USB) the program that was loaded yesterday has stopped working and I can't upload anything to it.

I get: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding (twice).

The RX light flashes 3 times, there is a pause of about 1 second, it flashes once more - then I get the error message in the IDE.

I've done all the standard troubleshooting, the board is powering up and my DMM shows that the voltages all look right.

I was messing around yesterday with powering the board from an external supply - but like I said, it was working just fine when I shut down last night.

Is there anything I can try between now and ordering a new chip that might let me know if it is just a corrupt bootloader or a board problem?

Any help on this one would be most appreciated.

Thanks - J.

I think the led blinking is the bootloader so the chip is executing instructions.

Check to make sure you've got the right board selected (randomly when I log on, it's changed to something else)

Also, make sure nothing is connected to pin 0 and pin 1. The only other things I can think of try push the reset button when uploading.

When I'm programming my chip on my breadboard (with the Arduino board) and I forget to hit reset, I get that error and the same LEDs lighting up. (this shouldn't matter, as the duemilanove has the auto-reset function, but a possibility)

Thanks all,

I messed round with the Serial Port Selection this morning and she seems to be working again. Good, but odd.

I was sure I was using /dev/tty.usbserial (on Mac OS X / Arduino 0017) but it now seems to be working on /dev/cu.usbserial.

I guess it might have been a port selection thing after all.

Thanks again.