programmer is not responding

hello, I'm a new arduino user, I have problem with my arduino.

at first my arduino uno is doing perfect. but after a few days the message "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x38" start to annoying me.

I've googling a few days but I dont get the solution, many solutions are blamming the pc-arduino connection, i dont think thats the problem. I have replace with a brand new uno (with the same pc+cable+coding), and its working fine.

I use windows 7 and an arduino uno. board and serial port both detected, driver updated

please anyone help me... thx

What happens when you

• open "device manager"
  • plug in the Uno

Do you see something changing, detecting a new device or is there no change at all in the device manager window?

Do you have an original Uno or a clone ?
Sometimes - especially with clones - you need to reinstall the suitable driver.

i used the clone ones and the driver also installed. device manager detected the uno.

it was perfectly operated, about 5 days later the problem came. i have read many article, but nothing changed.

Is your new Uno a clone as well and using exactly the same driver?
If so, then the communication IC on your first one seems to be broken.

Did you uninstall and re-install the clone driver?
That would be my last idea - although if one is working and the other not... :roll_eyes:
But it doesn't cost you $, only time to be invested and if it doesn't change things, feed the bin.

Hi,
With the board connected, in the IDE, check TOOLS and PORTS, is there a com port listed?

Tom... :slight_smile:

rpt007:
Is your new Uno a clone as well and using exactly the same driver?
If so, then the communication IC on your first one seems to be broken.

Did you uninstall and re-install the clone driver?
That would be my last idea - although if one is working and the other not… :roll_eyes:
But it doesn’t cost you $, only time to be invested and if it doesn’t change things, feed the bin.

the first (broken one) and the new are the same, both are clone, and use the same driver

yes i did uninstalled it.

is it different between clone and the original? will I counter the same trouble if I change it to the original one?

Thanks rpt007

TomGeorge:
Hi,
With the board connected, in the IDE, check TOOLS and PORTS, is there a com port listed?

Tom... :slight_smile:

Yes, there is one (COM4)

I have changed the uno with a new one (clone). it worked perfect until yesterday it came with a similar error message.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6a
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

and now there are 2 broken unos with the same error...

Melki:
I have changed the uno with a new one (clone). it worked perfect until yesterday it came with a similar error message

and now there are 2 broken unos with the same error...

And maybe a computer with a malfunctioning USB port killing Arduinos..

Hi,
What code are you uploading that does upload just before you get upload problem?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

You are not alone with the scenario of "working yesterday but not today"

Which IDE are you using as there seems to be issues with some of them.
1.6.5 is good and 1.6.9
Also ensure you don't use above 1.6.10 boards manager. (maybe 1.6.11 is also good)

Windows 10 also causes issues (some quite random) and you should check out posts in the troubleshooting section if that's what you are using.

USB 3.0 ports also seem to cause more than a fair share of issues too.

USB cables can also go bad so if you have another try that too.
Some recent reports also point to loose USB connectors on some batches of clones that also cause intermittent issues.
Maybe if you have the equipment check that as a possible cause.

Really? You will get this error if you have the serial port open when you try to upload. Close the Serial Monitor and or any Serial Terminal programs (like Termite), then upload.

This thread is years old; looks like @SheesKamal is promoting his/her website.

@SteveMann
The Serial Monitor is controlled by the IDE and does not interfere with uploads.

sterretje:
This thread is years old; looks like @SheesKamal is promoting his/her website.

Sorry- I didn't look at the OP date.

sterretje:
@SteveMann
The Serial Monitor is controlled by the IDE and does not interfere with uploads.

Oh, yes it does. Not every time, but at least in my case where my project has two boards, two IDE windows open and each with a monitor window open, I can get occasionally the same error as the OP unless I close the monitor window. Like I said, it doesn't happen every time, but when I close the monitor window it fixes it every time.

SteveMann:
Sorry- I didn't look at the OP date.

Not your mistake; somebody kicked an old thread (and that post is now gone

SteveMann:
Oh, yes it does. Not every time, but at least in my case where my project has two boards, two IDE windows open and each with a monitor window open, I can get occasionally the same error as the OP unless I close the monitor window. Like I said, it doesn't happen every time, but when I close the monitor window it fixes it every time.

I have not encountered it in that scenario but that does not mean it does not exist; you might have found a bug.