Programmer is not responding

Hi everyone,

I am using an arduino Uno as an ISP to program my atmega328p au. I tried both with and without external crystal and nor of them are working. If followed this link except that my IDE is 1.8.2. Here is the first question: is there a bootloader burnt? Do I need to burn bootloader? If yes, which tool->board I should choose (Any hardware library I can use?)? The error message is:avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: "not in sync: resp=0x11 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x11 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding";

Tools -> Board must be set to the thing you're programming. Either Arduino Uno (if you have a 16mhz crystal + loading caps connected as in the Uno), or install MiniCore and choose the atmega328p option - it offers a lot of different clock options including 8mhz internal (via a submenu that appears once you've selected the chip)

Did you disable autoreset on the Arduino being used as ISP programmer after uploading Arduino as ISP to it? This is needed in most circumstances. A 10uF cap (exact value isn't critical - anything from a few uF to hundreds will work) between reset and ground is the quick/easy/reversible way to do this.

You do need to do burn bootloader with the correct board and clock settings selected when preparing a virgin AVR for use.

DrAzzy, Thank you so much for your reply and the heads up of MiniCore. I selected the correct board and clock setting and disable the autoreset, but I still couldn't burn bootloader. The error message remained exactly what it was.Is there any other possible problem you can think of? I'm simply using the 8Mhz internal crystal and the chip is atmega328p au.

when bootloading using Arduino as ISP, that indicates that it's having trouble communicating with the arduino being used as ISP.