Programmer is not responding

Folks,
I'm using Windows 10 and Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board is: "Arduino Uno"
I've connected ardiuno board via USB to computer and in bottom right hand side of IDE sketch panel it says "Arduino Uno on COM(3)" so I know it is connected.
I'm not using an external programmer but menu is set to: AVRISP mkII.
Green light on board is on and I have a blinking red led.
I'm following directions in a small robot car kit that says compile/upload "Blink" sketch as first project, but I get this error when attempting to do this initial work:

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x62

I'm using Microsoft Windows security software only and have added Ardiuno app to list of those allowed thru firewall.

I've searched internet and tried burning bootloader but that gives an error also.

Are there common "first time user setup problems" listed on this page somewhere for me to explore other typical first-timer problems?
Thank you.

ajoeha:
in bottom right hand side of IDE sketch panel it says "Arduino Uno on COM(3)" so I know it is connected.

That doesn't mean it's connected. It only means that you have Tools > Board > Arduino Uno and Tools > Port > COM3 selected from the menus.

ajoeha:
I'm not using an external programmer but menu is set to: AVRISP mkII.

The Tools > Programmer menu selection is only used when you do a Tools > Burn Bootloader or Sketch > Upload Using Programmer. The programmer selection is completely ignored when you do a normal upload, so it makes no difference which programmer you have selected.

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1 on your Arduino board. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the Tools > Board menu.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino board, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu. The ports list is only updated when the Tools menu is re-opened, so this step is essential.
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

ajoeha:
Are there common "first time user setup problems" listed on this page somewhere for me to explore other typical first-timer problems?
Thank you.

There is a troubleshooting guide on this website, but it's very outdated so I don't recommend using it. It's not so much that there is wrong information in it, just information that's no longer useful that will cause you to waste time.

I've written an updated troubleshooting guide here:

but this is not intended to just be read through. It's intended that when you're having a specific problem you go and search for it in the relevant section of the guide.

Thank you for the tips. When I disconnected pins 0 and 1, upload process worked! I set Blink to longer and shorter times and red LED light now responds appropriately.
Thanks again for getting me going.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per