Programmer not responding on Arduino Uno

When the Arduino Uno is connected via usb to my Linux box I can start the program. Find my sketch, click on upload and get the error: avrdude_500 programmer not responding. When I then click on tools on the top, then on the drop down menu I can see all different programmers to choose from. No matter which one I use, they all generate the same error message. I can also change the usb driver for it but that also wont make a difference. I basically can't upload anything anymore. The only thing I did to it was connect the arduino to a battery with a 1amp fuse inbetween which worked for the led's. But I had to disconnect it to get the wires nice n neat and then connect it to the Linux box to upload the program. That's when I noticed that the programmer wont respond anymore. Anybody got a solution for me? Thanks, Nick :0

stnicklaus: When the Arduino Uno is connected via usb to my Linux box I can start the program. Find my sketch, click on upload and get the error: avrdude_500 programmer not responding. When I then click on tools on the top, then on the drop down menu I can see all different programmers to choose from. No matter which one I use, they all generate the same error message. I can also change the usb driver for it but that also wont make a difference. I basically can't upload anything anymore. The only thing I did to it was connect the arduino to a battery with a 1amp fuse inbetween which worked for the led's. But I had to disconnect it to get the wires nice n neat and then connect it to the Linux box to upload the program. That's when I noticed that the programmer wont respond anymore. Anybody got a solution for me? Thanks, Nick :0

In Linux, your serial device should be /dev/ttyACM0

The "programmer" choices are for selecting which device programmer to use to burn a bootloader... it's got nothing to do with uploading compiled sketches.

You should not need any "usb driver" for Linux... Linux supports the UNO natively as /dev/ttyACM0, ACM1, etc....

I don't know what LED's you are using, but maybe they are drawing too much current (USB can only supply 500 mA).

Try to disconnect anything connected to the UNO board, don't use any USB drivers and make sure "Arduino UNO" is selected in the TOOLS/BOARD drop down menu, then try to upload a sketch.

Lastly, if for some reason an upload failed, then AVRDUDE may still be active in memory, blocking access to the serial port. Try typing "killall avrdude" and see if any AVRDUDE processes get stopped, then try to upload again.

Hi Krupski, thanks for the reply. I’ve tried what you suggested. The board “arduino uno” was checked. No processes were running since I shut down my linux box over night. I still ran the code “killall avrdude” it stated no processes found. When starting the program it shows this serial usb port: dev/ttyACM0. Nothing’s connected to the board at the time of trying to upload to it. I still get the error: avrdued: stk_500 (receiv) Programmer not responding.
Its been working fine until I hooked it up to the 12V battery with a 1amp fuse inbetween. It worked one time on the battery. Like mentioned before when I disconnected it to get all the wires nice n neat to reconnect, it wouldn’t work anymore. I took measurements with the volt meter. Found that all digital pins are low voltage at around 1.38V. Yet the analog pins are working. When I connect the led’s to the analog pins they light up just fine. None of the digital pins is working anymore ever since its been connected to the battery.
Also it wont let me upload to it anymore ever since. I was reading that the arduino can be connected to a stand alone 12V battery. Even up to 18V. What happened? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Nick

Sounds like you killed the chip!. The Arduino's take 9V NOT 12V. No your analog pins are not working as they are inputs not outputs.

Mark

stnicklaus: The only thing I did to it was connect the arduino to a battery with a 1amp fuse inbetween which worked for the led's.

Exactly where did you connect the 12V battery to?

holmes4: Sounds like you killed the chip!. The Arduino's take 9V NOT 12V. No your analog pins are not working as they are inputs not outputs.

Mark

You sound so confidant, official, and all. However from the Uno product page:

Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V

And arduino analog pins are fully capable of being used as digital input or output pins as well as analog input pins.

Lefty

Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V: I actually found up to 18V input since the arduino should have internal protection from over voltage and only output up to 5v. Exactly where did you connect the 12V battery to? to the round black connector on the board. There is only 2 connectors. 1 usb and 1 black round one. I bought the cord from radio shack and once i had it connected to the battery i tested the positive and negative on the plug before connecting to arduino. The outside of the plug was negative and the inside positive. And arduino analog pins are fully capable of being used as digital input or output pins as well as analog input pins: I'm under the same impression However, ever since the arduino was connected to the battery it wont work anymore. Wont let me upload to it anymore either. Sounds like you killed the chip! Probably right. Yet the arduino should be capable of handling up to 18v. Therefore 12v should be an easy task for it. Any ideas how to get the arduino back on tracks? Anybody out there knowing how to make a finished circuit board for me? Not printing it, rather using an existing board and put a microcontroller and all the other parts on to it? Thanks, Nick

Does your Arduino respond at all when you try to upload a sketch to it? You should see the LEDs changing as the board resets and then does serial I/O.

Turn on the verbose logging option in the Arduino IDE and look for any messages indicating where it has got to in the uploading sequence. This might give you a clue whether the board is responding at all, responding incorrectly etc.

Can you confirm that you now have the Arduino board connected to the USB cable and nothing else?

Does your Arduino respond at all when you try to upload a sketch to it? You should see the LEDs changing as the board resets and then does serial I/O: No, I can't see any LED's blinking when clicking on "upload". I can see the LED's blinking when connecting it to the computer and the LED's stay lit once its connected. Turn on the verbose logging option in the Arduino IDE: I'm sorry, but I have no idea where to find that and if arduino even has that? Can you confirm that you now have the Arduino board connected to the USB cable and nothing else? Yes, only the arduino is connected. and the digital pins read about 1.38v and the tx and rx pins seem to work just like the analog pins seem to work as well. Just can't upload any sketch anymore. Since I already pushed the reset button there is no program on it anymore. Thanks, Nick

stnicklaus: Since I already pushed the reset button there is no program on it anymore.

You are mistaken. Resetting the board does not wipe the installed sketch, it merely restarts it.