Programmers can be a bit weird but ...

Am I the only person who has noticed that every entertainer (singer, songwriter actor etc) who is interviewed on the radio can go through the whole interview using the single pronoun "I"

It's like as if the world does not exist beyond what they are doing.

What really pisses me off is that engineers (including programmers) never get any coverage even though nothing the entertainers do could happen if engineers had not created the tools that the the entertainers use - pens, printers, cameras, recorders, microphones, transmitters, receivers, loudspeakers, airplanes, tour-buses. electricity .....

...R

Whenever possible avoid personal pronouns. :slight_smile:

Singers, actors etc. (and Trump) are all narcissistic.

Selective memory mostly. Besides, programmers don’t make the world a better place while musicians do, or so I have been told.

Qdeathstar:
Besides, programmers don’t make the world a better place while musicians do, or so I have been told.

All music that has been recorded in recent years has used technology that was created by programmers. And most of its dissemination also depends on the work of programmers.

Without programmers music would be on vinyl and the only means of transmission would be AM or FM radio. And the machinery for both vinyl and radio was created by engineers before it could be used by musicians.

...R

Engineers and Programmers, quiet achievers.

UNTIL SOMETHING GOES WRONG......

I'm trying to learn music. I don't think music and musicians should be grouped with singers who don't play any instruments. I find musicians could be quite geeky. Except for competing for my time, I don't think Bach is hurting Kirchhoff and whoever represents programmers in my head. I bet if they had computers and internet, Beethoven and Bach could have been programmers too.

liuzengqiang:
I don't think music and musicians should be grouped with singers who don't play any instruments. I find musicians could be quite geeky.

I wasn't commenting on their technical competence - many (most?) of them are very clever. I was commenting on their need to talk incessantly about themselves. And I guess I was talking about successful professional musicians that are interviewed on radio and tv.

...R

Musicians work with patterns right down to the reflexes and quite often they make good programmers, and good mathematicians as well.

Card playing is another plus and IME playing tabletop sims or RPGs are better.

What hard logic I learned in math classes prepared me the best to write code.

I agree that math classes did the most to prepare my mind for programming. Especially, I think, writing proofs for geometry (7th grade).

Robin2:
I wasn’t commenting on their technical competence - many (most?) of them are very clever. I was commenting on their need to talk incessantly about themselves. And I guess I was talking about successful professional musicians that are interviewed on radio and tv.

…R

Maybe their lives and careers are so unique that they can only talk about themselves instead of sharing lots of similarities such as programmers and engineers?

Buy it if ya like it or do something else.

On my team of six programmers, three of us are what I would call accomplished musicians. The others may be, and I just don't know it. My point is that playing an instrument is certainly a pattern you see in programming. And not being able to spell (or maybe it is a typing issue) is another one.

Attention To Detail -- don't work when you're tired.
Any pxxx poor manager can teach you that and blame you for the results at the same time.